Removing Lead Weight From AR15 Butt Stock

CWL

Y'all,

I dropped a lead weight (Fulton Armory?) into the butt stock compartment of an AR15 in order to counterbalance the heavy bull barrel varminter config. I have on it.

Now, this this thing is one heavy SOB and I'd like to remove it, the lead weight is pretty solidly wedged into the plastic compartment.

Anyone removed one of these before, or have any suggestions on how to do so? Am I going to have to drill it out?

kurt IA.

Drilling seams the best, you could try taping it to take bolt then pull it that way, by a slide-hammer, or rig up something like they use for a stuck case in reloading dies.

M1911

I'll tell you how I did it.

First, remove the buttstock from the receiver.

Second, put the hardware onto a new buttstock and attach to your receiver ;)

M1911

Inertia. With the trap door open, gently rap the rifle on a 2x4 that is secured on the floor with your foot. Rap it along the toe so as to prevent damage to the opened trap door. This should cause the lead weight to slip out.

Steve Smith

If the above mentioned method doesn't work, drill a hole in it and then screw a wood screw in. Break out the vice grips.

BTW, wanna sell your lead wedge?

But Genghiz "Gunsmith" Kahn would take a propane torch to it and melt it out. ;)

So, is it out yet? We're waiting to hear.

CWL

I'll try banging it on the 2X4 first, then try drilling & pulling tomorrow. After action report to follow.

Steve, don't know if I want to sell it. If it comes out easy, I might hold onto it. Btw, it only cost me $20 so I don't know if it'd be worth sending that hunk'o lead.