Removing Front Sight Base From an AR???

P99AS9

I was thinking about putting a reflex style red dot on my Olympic Arms M4. I had a gun store employee tell me that you had to remove the front sight base from the rifle to be able to see out of the red dot, otherwise it would get in the way. Is this true?

LukeA

Nope. The FSB won't affect the red dot's performance. It's a matter of personal preference/laziness whether or not you decide to remove the FSB.

TheManHimself

Depends on the RDS. A lot of the cheap ones don't sit high enough to clear the ironsights without a riser. Combat sights designed for use on the AR-15 rifle, such as the EOTech and Aimpoint, include mounting solutions designed to co-witness with the rifle's ironsights.

Technosavant

If it is a true 1X optic, then no, no need at all to remove the FSB. Even though it will be visible through the optic, it isn't in the way; you just focus on the dot and not the front sight. A real 1X will "cowitness," meaning that if you can see front and rear sights as well as the dot/reticle at the same time, they will both show the same point of aim. This is a useful feature- you can use one to check the zero of the other and the sights are ready to go if the optic goes down.

Any optic with any kind of magnification won't co-witness, even if you can see the sights through it- the lenses change things just enough to hose the possibility.

There are two kinds of co-witness- true (where the sights are centered in the optic field of view) and lower 1/3 (pretty much what it sounds like- the sights are set up in the lower third of field of view- with an Aimpoint, EOTech, or similar quality, there's no parallax to speak of, so it's still a co-witness even when the dot isn't centered).

DMK

I had a gun store employee tell me that you had to remove the front sight base from the rifle to be able to see out of the red dot, otherwise it would get in the way.
It doesn't matter how high or low the optic is, the front sight should not get in the way if your are using the red dot correctly.

Leave both eyes open, get a cheek weld and focus on the target just like you would if you were looking at it without a gun. You will see the red dot superimpose over your target. Your left eye sees the target and your right eye sees the dot. Your brain puts the two pictures together. You could put the dust cap or duct tape over the front of your red dot optic and it would still work.

Many people try to use a red dot like they would a magnified scope. That is incorrect.