Removing boiled linseed oil

Chief Jones

you can try HOT HOT water & a Brillo pad, followed bu rinsing off really well. It has worked great with my M1, SKS & Enfield.

Woody

HankB

Go to Gunplumber's site ( http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ ) and look under "Notes." He has a guide to stock restoration.

I've also heard of M1 Garand stocks being stripped using E Z Off Oven cleaner as well. Those were originally finished using linseed oil or, later on, china (tung) oil.

AndrewWalkowiak

Try "Purple Power" degreaser from the automotive aisle in Wal-Mart. Use it with a nylon bristle brush, and hot water. It's $5 for a gallon. Works well taking cosmoline and grease out of military surplus rifles and thier stocks.

It's not toxic in the skin contact or inhaled fumes department since it's basically just a really, really, aggressive detergent, but I reccomend wearing gloves since it will chap your hands badly since it sucks away the oil from most anything.

DonP

Go to this web site

Here's a great Curio and Relic web site that has a whole section on cleaning old stocks.

http://pub109.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums (sorry I don't know how to post it as a hypertext direct link)

I used the hot water, purple power and paper towels and "stock in a plastic bag, wrapped in cheap paper towels in the hot sun" method to bleed the last bits of cosmo out of my 91-30 stock. Sounds stupid, but it worked great. The oven cleaner method can really leave you with raised grain since it uses a powerful alkali I believe.

Good luck and be patient or you'll have a brown mark on your cheek for the next two summers.

Don P.

MeekAndMild

For the guys who use oven cleaner, have you tried, Formby's or other brand furniture stripper? My dad used to use K-mart brand furniture stripper, which would take any wood product down to bare metal with ease. I don't know if they still make it but it was really great stuff. I once used it to strip off about a dozen layers of linseed oil off an old desk. Had an old Enfield 30+ years ago and it worked just as well on it.

He used to use lye too (which is what is in oven cleaner) but only for the sort of 19th century enamels that nothing else would touch. It is really dangerous. These others will hurt the eyes and are tough to breath but the lye is much worse and will turn skin to soft brown soap! :eek:

5ptdeerhunter

When I first got my Mosin nagant M44 there wasn't to much cosmo. But to remove the finish the gun already had I used this stuff called citristrip. Sprayed it on and about an hour later cleaned it off and the stock was finish free.