Remove tac-light prior to range session?

KennyFSU

I understand that tac-lights are built to withstand the recoil but do you think I would "get more life" out of the light if I removed it before going through 2-500 rounds each session? Having the light mounted does not affect my accuracy or groupings. Your thoughts?

Gun - G34
Light - TLR-1s

Thanks all.

ZeSpectre

isn't the TLR-1 an LED based light? If so I'd keep it on. If it's going to break in range sessions it's not much of a light and, personally, I'd rather find out on the range than in my house during a "situation".

blume357

I'd keep it on...(even though I personally don't believe in lights on guns)

you need to keep your defense weapon the same during practice as in out in the real world / at home.

KennyFSU

Very true, can you expand on why you dislike lights on guns? The strobe feature is worthless in my opinion and can create far more confusion for the shooter, but having a light just makes sense to me. Are you worried it may give away the location of the shooter? Thanks.

44 AMP

Staff
The basic problem with a light on a gun is....

That in the dark, we use lights to look at things. All kinds of things. Everything. And not everything should have a loaded gun pointed at it.

There is a lot of discussion/argument about lights on guns, but to me, the bottom line is that they are risky. Professionals train, train, and train some more, the rest of us, mostly, don't.

Something spooked you in the night, you checking things out, light on the gun, now, we all know finger OFF the trigger, but....not everyone follows the rules all the time. And unless you are trained not to, you are going to use that light to look at things, pointing a gun at the same time.

TO me, it just increases the risk of an accident. A light not on the gun is, to me, the way to go.

There are valid arguments both ways, and one can come up with situations favoring each one. You have to decide what is both right, and safest, for your personal situation.

I promise, as I read this..I started taking my tac light off...It's good for a zombie apocalypse (lol) or post hurricane here...Not for home defense with your whole family in the home with you. Plus it being a double edge sword.

44AMP
The basic problem with a light on a gun is....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That in the dark, we use lights to look at things. All kinds of things. Everything. And not everything should have a loaded gun pointed at it.

There is a lot of discussion/argument about lights on guns, but to me, the bottom line is that they are risky. Professionals train, train, and train some more, the rest of us, mostly, don't.

Something spooked you in the night, you checking things out, light on the gun, now, we all know finger OFF the trigger, but....not everyone follows the rules all the time. And unless you are trained not to, you are going to use that light to look at things, pointing a gun at the same time.

TO me, it just increases the risk of an accident. A light not on the gun is, to me, the way to go.

There are valid arguments both ways, and one can come up with situations favoring each one. You have to decide what is both right, and safest, for your personal situation.

EdInk

Leave it on there. Also, I think most responsible shooters would use a different flashlight for checking the fuse box than the one on their gun.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I would do enough shooting with the light and using the loads you use for self-defense to insure that the firearm/light system will function properly. There have been some instances of otherwise reliable firearms having functioning issues with a light installed.

Once you're satisfied that the combination works then I see no need to have it in place for the entire duration of every range session.