Remmy 700 Issue/Question

pabuckslayer08

I bought a sps 700 a few years back when they were brand new and never used it much. Recently I got the trigger done on it and bought a CDL walnut stock an butt plate for on it now it looks just like a CDL. Just one thing, the floorplate was supposed to work the same but the locking mechansim that locks it up bent back and went on to pop off. I know some of the Remmy 700 guns dont even have a floor plate and I have 3 others that dont. Could I just eliminate the floorplate with a beed of JB weld around the bottom or what part would I need to fix this. It looks like to me the piece is part of the trigger guard.

jmr40

A lot of professional hunters who guide for dangerous game weld their floorplates shut so they don't have to worry about them dumping their ammo at the wrong time. I'd do that before spending 1/2 the cost of a new gun on new bottom metal.

But I'd also look for a cheaper fix first. There are used parts out there. Contact Remington directly they can probably provide an answer as well.

roklok

Sure you can glue the floorplate shut, if you do it right, it will not be noticeable from the outside. I am having a bit of trouble understanding how yours broke, or what piece broke, but they can certainly be glued shut. JB weld should work.

I actually did glue the floorplate shut on my 700 in .35 Whelen chambering, just to eliminate any chance of dumping cartridges accidently in a sticky situation. It is my grizzly rifle.

Even if a floorplate is operational, I usually remove cartridges out the top, using the bolt. It is easier to keep them off the ground removing them one at a time instead of dumping them out the bottom.

pabuckslayer08

Thanks guys, im going to just shut it up I beleive. How it happened is when I put the CDL stock on it it wouldnt shut up exactly right and I pushed I little to hard and the mechanism that actually locks the floorplate up which is just a little metal tag that sticks out is what bent over and when I bent it back it just cracked.

pabuckslayer08

Yea, I have a ADL as well and I like that it has no drop plate so im going to just convert it and I will like it but if Id ever want to sell it that would really smash the value. I probably wont be selling it though