remmy 700 .308

ARDogman

So, I have this...friend. He's seen Shooter too much and had a hankerin' for an M24-ish rifle. Which route would you recommend (accuracy counts, price is second...a fewe hundred bones won't make much difference.)

1. Buy sps-v, re-stock and call it good (maybe some action/trigger work.)
2. 700p
3. Shilen (or other similar) barrel, 700 action, and aftermarket stock...kinda piecemeal thing.

What say you?

Last edited:

lefteyedom

It really comes down to how much time and money he wants to spend.

I took a year and collected the parts and had mine built. Guess you could say I did Johnny Cash style... One piece at a time.

700 action form a 30/06 deer rifle (Inherited)
308 Remington Sendero barrel {Ebay}
A used HS stock {gunbroker)
Weaver heavy weight rings and mounts (local gunsmiths take off)
Bushnell 3200 10x40 scope (Ebay)
Harris bipod (Criagslist)

Don't ask about the cost I don't want to know

Scorch

1- Rem 700 SPS-V is about $650 + $200-$400 for a good stock, that puts you right in the $1,000 range. Might as well step up to a higher model and get a good stock as part of the deal.
2- Short barrel, he may or may not like it in the long run. If he wants a varminter or super-accurate rifle, look at the 700 Varmint SF.
3- Ballpark figure, he will spend about $2,000 for this option ($450 bare bones 700 as the donor, $400 barrel, $250 thread/chamber, $250 true action, $500 stock, $150 trigger, $50 bipod, etc), but going this route is probably going to yield the best final product.

OR . . .

He can get a 700 Tactical for a lot less than any one of the options, MSPR is about $750, or step up to a Sendero for about $1,500.

thesheepdog

Buy one with the package.

I built a M24 clone from a VTR model and ended up spending about $2,000 when I could have just bought a 700P. Make sure you get a bedded stock-not sure if the 700P has one.
Savage 10FP's are a much better choice in my opinion. They have all the bells and whistles for about $800.

LinuxHack3r

I've never understood about the $500 stocks? Ahow do they help on accuracy? To me it looks like a nice $100 composite would do just fine? What am I missing here?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

taylorce1

If accuracy is important and money second then your friend would be money ahead to buy a Mil-Spec rifle fro GA Precision. Their M24 is a little pricey at $3200 but the guarntee 1/2 MOA accuracy with match grade ammunition. I'm seriously considering selling off a few rifles to invest in one of their Non Typical hunting rifles in .270 Win.

Scorch

What am I missing here?
When you spend $500 for a drop-in stock, it has a lot of very nice features, and it is pretty much ready to go. Yes, you could get a $100 stock, put a bedding job into it, add an adjustable cheekpiece, shape and finish it, texture or checker the grip areas, add sling swivel studs, etc. You will be about $200-$300 into it before you are done, and that is if you do the work. I do stockwork for a living, and I charge a minimum of $350 to shape and finish an inletted blank, $100-$150 more for bedding, $200-$1,000 for stippling/texturing or checkering, and $150 to add an adjustable cheekpiece. So when you buy that $500 stock, you are paying for someone else to do all the work so you don't have to.

Poodleshooter

I've never understood about the $500 stocks? Ahow do they help on accuracy? To me it looks like a nice $100 composite would do just fine? What am I missing here?
In a word: stability.
Cheap injection molded stocks, such as my SPS-V came equipped with, are a crap shoot. They are relatively flexible,and can allow the rifle action to move around in the bedding or they can even hit the barrel during firing, thus altering barrel harmonics,and reducing accuracy from shot to shot. The heavier fiberglass stocks, or the fiberglass/composite/aluminum bedding block stocks all create a very stiff, heavy platform to securely hold the rifle action while floating the barrel. Basically, they do what a heavy solid wood stock does,but without the disadvantage of warping due to temps or humidity.
That said, my .308 SPS-V will shoot about .9 to 1 MOA for 5-7 rounds out to 300yds with the factory stock (injection molded stock with barrel pressure points) and good reloads. I'm equipping it with an aluminum bedded,free floated stock to help wring more accuracy from it. I'm hoping to end up with a .5 to .75 MOA rifle that is more consistent and shoots well with a variety of loads.

ARDogman

The Varmint SF seems like it might have the same flimsy stock as the SPS-v...can anyone confirm this?

The Sendero looks money, did they offer it in a short action?