Reminton 700 bolt

700cdl

Hi there,
I have a rather new 700 CDL and recently while cleaning it I notice that there is a hole that goes into the bolt body just back of a lug and off to the side of it. It is larger than the extractor holding pin hole that goes through and through. What worse is I am extremely familar with the 700s (25 years) and have replaced or up graded just about everything on them without problems. I'm not having any problems with it such as extraction, and the extractor pin is in its place. Its strange that I never noticed this hole before and was wondering if it is some presuure reliefe port or maybe a hole for a special tool used on these bolts?

Ideal Tool

Hello, 700cdl...sounds like you have might have a carbide toothed termite problem! Ha! Ha! Seriously though, you were right on about a pressure relief port. If you look closely, it should line up with another hole in the reciever ring. It's a gas port, a built in safty feature to protect you in the event of a blown primer, or case failure...Don't as alot of people do..fill with oil!