Remington's X-Mark Pro trigger

TheNatureBoy

This past saturday I purchased a Remington Model 700 5R .308. It should be here sometime this week. My question has to do with the x-mark pro trigger thats on it. Does anyone have any experience with it? I've read a few posts from people who also have this rifle and they all seem to be in a hurry to replace it. Thanks in advance :)

maxman894

I really like mine. I love the fact that it is adjustable right from the factory. I have the Bone Collector edition in 30-06. Very crisp trigger. Would definately recommend it. :D

warbirdlover

I have a new 700 SPS Buckmasters with the X-mark pro trigger. I think it's great. Adjusts down to 3 lbs (RCBS trigger pull gauge) like they say it does and is short, crisp and in their words "breaks like glass". Very nice hunting trigger. :)

I put a Timney on the first rifle I built (Mauser Supreme Action) and see no advantage to it over this trigger.

Last edited:

sourdough44

I replaced mine with a Timney, no I didn't like it. With the 'adjustment screw' totally out it was still at or above 4 lbs on my trigger gauge.

codyb1991

I bought a remington 700 ADL with the xmark pro trigger,out of the factory the pull was already set at 4 lbs. Has no creep also. I like it a lot, its nothing like savages accu trigger though.

5RWill

Honestly it's a crap trigger IMO. Not to step on anyone's shoes, but compared to the old factory remington 700 trigger..well there is no comparison. Yet my gunsmith took the creep out of mine, and dropped it to 1lb, so i don't have a problem with mine right now. I don't like the trigger shoe on it, i would prefer a old style 700 trigger adjusted to a 1lb or maybe a rifle basix trigger. Will be replacing it as soon as i can get around to finishing my build.

Sweet Shooter

The thing to realize is that the screw in the trigger blade is not worth bothering with. Mine had a travel that equated to about 0.5 Lbs (from 4 to 4.5 Lbs) and was breaking at about 4.0 Lbs at best. I took it out and left it out... the spring that it pushes on is captive anyway. That screw in the trigger blade is a gimmick that merely gives folk something to twiddle with without getting in over their head.

What does work well are the real pull-weight and sear engagement screws inside but you must know/understand what you're doing to mess with engagement. Mine now breaks very cleanly at about 2.75 Lbs. Summer or Winter.

-SS-

CPTMurdoc30

I'm with Blackops-2 on this one.

I had one of the OMG its gonna kill you triggers on my VLS. It came from the factory with a Lawyer setting of 10# REALLY ***FACE PALM REMINGTON*** a 10# trigger on a VARMINT rifle. Who is putting these things together today? I went with the timney got it down to 1.5# and it breaks like a glass rod. No take up no over travel you apply 1.5#s to it and rifle goes BANG. If I upgrade it again I am going Jewell.

I don't own the X-mark pro but I have shot one and I have tried 4 or 5. I would rate that trigger 1 maybe 2 steps above that of a daisy Red ryder BB gun.

codyb1991

Guess it varies. I love my x-mark pro trigger. No problems here, shot maybe 500 -600 rounds with it... never had to adjust or replace

Discern

If it is the shooter adjustable with the adjustment screw in the trigger, I have read posts on other forums where the trigger has broken at the adjustment screw. Claims are that the hole in the trigger for the adjusting screw is too large and has created a less than normal trigger in regards to strength.

Sweet Shooter

I saw that too... that an expert instructor managed to snap the trigger while showing how effective the safety was... squeezing it against the safety to show it wouldn't go off. The trigger is made of a pot metal, it's not as strong as regular steel but is more like aluminum. I'm not thrilled about that, and I'm not happy with the bottom metal, but to break that stuff you have to be out to. It will not break under normal conditions.
-SS-

Poodleshooter

I've got one of the original internally adjustable models on a 700 SPS-V. IIRC, I melted the lacquer off of the weight screw, dropped the weight some, leaving sear travel and trigger overtravel alone, and then relacquered the screw in place.
I'll have to check pull weight, but it's very crisp and has almost zero overtravel, and has not moved in several years.
I suspect it's around 2.5# or so, but will have to see.

EDIT- Timney gauge shows 4.5# on my internally adjustable XMark Pro! I couldn't believe it was that heavy. It still feels great to me.
Then again, my Garand ran 7#, and my ARs at 5.5#, so I suppose it's a matter of what you're used to.

Last edited:

golfnutrlv

I didn't really mind my X-Mark Pro trigger. Until I installed a Timney. No going back now...

What got my attention, was when Remignton wrote in their users manual that adjusting the trigger voids your warranty. Huh?????

I can tell you my groups shrank immediately with the Timney.

Sweet Shooter

@golfnutrlv What got my attention, was when Remignton wrote in their users manual that adjusting the trigger voids your warranty. Huh?????

I think it's cheaper to void the warranty by adjusting the stock trigger than it is by replacing it, especially if the stock one works. Just goes to show what a warranty is worth these days.
-SS-

warbirdlover

The manual says don't adjust the trigger. The trigger is adjustable. They have a video on the Remington website on how to adjust it. ???????????????????????????????????????? I adjusted mine. Let them prove I did.. :D

CPTMurdoc30

If you send a rifle back to Remington and it has a non-Remington trigger or they can tell that you have adjusted your trigger. Be prepared to get a new trigger installed and the bill for parts and labor. Oh and they WILL NOT send you your trigger back. This happened to a friend of mine. He sent 2 of his Remington 700's back tot he factory. When he got them back the 2 Jewell triggers were gone and two junk Remington triggers were in their place and there was a bill for $150. He ended up getting them back from Remington but it took 2 weeks and about 8 calls a day to them to solve the problem.

Oh and if they call you and you refuse to let them replace a trigger that is either NOT theirs or one YOU have adjusted they will not work on your rifle as it is UNSAFE.