remington's quality drop

shredder4286

in response to my question "when did the quality in the remington firearms start to decline?"-mapwd posted this-

probably about the time they were taken over by Cerberus. The same company that owns Bushmaster and now has acquired DPMS.

so, am i to believe this company is now killing the quality of remingon, bushmaster, and DPMS as well??:barf:

emcon5

I have to wonder how much of the "quality drop" is due to grade. Are you comparing a 20 year old 700 BDL to a modern 700 SPS or a 770?

shredder4286

I have to wonder how much of the "quality drop" is due to grade. Are you comparing a 20 year old 700 BDL to a modern 700 SPS or a 770?

now, i know for a fact that the 770 is not a good rifle. other than that- i'm talking about how people are always saying that remington's quality has dropped over the last few years. then, it was posted saying that since cerberus bought them out, the quality declined. i'm just wondering if anybody else can confirm that the Model 700 isn't what it used to be. just a curious noob to the rifle world:eek:

Loader9

Do the research and you'll find that the upper management wreaks of past politicians. Feinberg never had this kind of money before and the money behind Cerberus isn't his. The money trail leads back to China. There's a lot more to the US-Chinese relationship than they just own a lot of our National debt. But that would make this a political thread and I don't think it's allowed here. Is Remingtons quality going down? I haven't seen any as such. Everybody makes a lemon occasionally, Ruger, Smith, Kimber, etc, but overall, I don't see a problem with Remington quality. What hammers me the most is when a scope company says it's scopes are 100% American made yet is involved in litigation with a parts supplier in China. I don't think it gets any lower than a company that blatantly lies to it's customers.

Is a 20 year old $700 Rem rifle (in today's $) a nicer rifle than a $400 today? - probably yes.

Is a $400 Rem rifle today as good as a $400 Savage or Mossberg? - probably yes.

Is the quality control going down? I don't know. I just bought a Rem 700 SPS Tact 20" that shoots half MOA, has a really nice trigger that I haven't even needed to adjust, has a excellent Hogue stock with very little recoil for a 308, and it was for $600. To me that is one heck of a deal. By the way, at least they make that rifle here in the US.

In my experience, all large companies have some upper management that is not the greatest. That's just how it is and how it always has been. I am sure they have high up management there that don't deserve to be there. If the quality suffers and then the profit suffers, they will clean house and the company will be back to where it was, a great company. All companies go through the same cycle. It just seems Rem is so big that they are very easy to pick on.

Without bringing out the Remington Trolls... A kind way to put it is that remingtons quality is hit or miss... My brother and I both have .243 CDLs that were both bought new on the same day... Completely identical in every respect except that his is left handed.. His is a credit to the 700 design and mine has been a problem child from the first time I shot it... Both of them look great, I think mine was built from parts produced on Monday by somebody with a serious hangover...

Bagmup

While no expert by any means, when i was looking for a new rifle here in Australia, i went along to the gun shop with every intention of purchasing a 700 sps.
After handling both the Rem and a Savage 116 and talking to the guys behind the counter i purchased the Savage... for the money i couldn't say no, and have never regretted it, i freakin' love the thing... never thought i'd become a Savage man :D

shredder4286

well, it seems savage's QC is pretty darn good. i don't remember the last time i've heard somebody say something bad about a savage; again, like it was said before, every company makes a lemon here and there. and i'm all about american made parts and guns, so that's a big factor in purchasing a firearm for me.

i had seen several comments about the Rem mod 700 not being what it used to be, so i was just wondering exactly how much different they are now, from what the standard was before.

Bamashooter

nothing is what it used to be. that being said, remington still makes quality firearms. if you buy a 400 dollar rifle you get a 400 dollar rifle. as the price goes up so does the quality. the high end stuff is top notch. IMHO.... :)

hooligan1

It's a fickle series of events, one gunmaker slows while another quitely passes it by. Consistant qualities are in favor of Savage, Marlin, etc. Remington has had a quality issue for 10 years or so it seems, I have some Remington's and have Zero problems. Maybe they got too commercial IE: Wally World. they have to mass produce and get that merchandise out the factory doors... Hey it wouldn't be the first co. to be destroyed by Wally-World.. :mad:

alloy

No experience with new Remingtons.
Have bought from 3 old/reputable manufacturers in the last two years and noted quality isn't what it used to be overall.
One slipped by me but was repaired nicely and promtly for no cost, one had an issue or two I knew about but also knew they would fix them under the recall and the price was good because of the flaws, which they did....and one I knew off the bat would take me a day or two to tighten it up into a usable firearm, because it seems all you are buying is a collection of loosely fit parts that sort of resemble a rifle. Costs....500, 900, 1400
So Remington isn't alone, if the story is true...times have changed.

tachunter

I'm so tired of people talking about Remington going down hill with there QC (quality control). 99% of these rifles shoot a minute of angle with Match quality ammunition. Remington can't pull the trigger for you people. Also think about pulling off your Bushnell's, Tasco's, etc putting on a decent Leupold with 12x and give the rifle a chance to shoot it's true potential.

Horseman

I've been shooting 700's for hunting and benchrest for over 20 years. The quality of 700's has gone downhill considerably. If you want a good one get one from the 80's or earlier. The actions are smoother, the barreled action is polished much better, the followers aren't stamped, the recoil pads fit properly and the bolt timing is usually where it needs to be. Most folks who don't notice a decline in quality have not owned many 700's from several different decades.

I've owned dozens of 700's over the years from the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 00's. The higher end guns of today are still very good like the Sendero SFII's and similarly priced offerings. Ask any gunsmith and they'll agree with the general lack of quality, finish and smoothness of internal parts on most new Remington products.

ndking1126

Very few people (in my experience) that say Remington's quality has dropped have actually owned one with a problem, much less more than one to make a comparison. It's a nasty internet rumor for the most part.

Most of the people who have owned a Remington and actually had a problem with it (in my experience) had the problem with the lower end models, like the SPS. Anything other than complete low end you just rarely hear about problems. Even for the low end 700s, I bet you could easily find 50 people or more that are happy with theirs for every one person unhappy with it. 700 tactical and 700 varmint are both excellent rifles and can be had for very little.

Consider this, when I bought my 700 ADL (.30-06) back in 1994/1995, it cost me $380. And we went to like 5 or 6 shops to find it that low. Buds has a 700 sps varmint in .223 right now for $536 including free shipping. Considering it comes with a 26" heavy barrel and mine came with a 22" sporter, that's really not a huge increase in 15 years. Hats off to them for staying competitive. Sure, they might make a lemon now and again, everyone does.

Note: Something like the bolt isn't as smooth as it was to me is a non-issue. Does it shoot accurately and does it shoot reliably? That's all that matters to me.

I don't know all about the politics and corporate buy outs, but I do know Big Green still makes quaility firearms.

thekyrifleman

Don't know about the "loss in quality"....I own a 700 from 1966( a Rem 7mm Mag), one from 1978( a 8mm Mag), one from 1992 ( a custom 7mm STW), and one from 2000( a 7mm-08 in the Rem Ti), and one from 2005 ( a Mtn rifle in 280). All will shoot moa if I am doing my part. All metal work is first rate...stock work, I've not considered since I have put HS Precision and MCMillan's on all of them. Just wonder how many of the people knocking the "loss in quality" can really judge over time......

CPTMurdoc30

I own remingtons from before the 700 I have owned 700's from the 70's and 80's. These things they are putting out now are something else.

When was the last time you seen a nice high quality high polish blue job on a remington? I see plenty of rifles sitting on the shelf of the gun stores where the stock fore ends are touching the barrel at 3 points. Stocks that fit like a monkey with a stick and a rocks bedded the rifles. I have see at least 4 of these new X-mark pro triggers SNAP from poor quality in the pot metal castings. Speaking of pot metal funny how my 70's and 80's 700's had STEEL floor plates and my newest one sports a nasty ill fitting POT METAL casting. My early 700s fit and finish was great now they suck. The Trigger on mine felt like it had gravel in it. I tried to adjust it but I could only get it down to 8# any lighter it would go off if I bumped the but on the ground. I have seen stocks that looked like a beaver carved and inleted them.

The 770 is just a throw away pot metal wonder gun. They are churned out at $50 each and sold for $350.

Savage, Tikka, Howa all have better quality from what I am seeing.

Horseman

Don't know about the "loss in quality"....I own a 700 from 1966( a Rem 7mm Mag), one from 1978( a 8mm Mag), one from 1992 ( a custom 7mm STW), and one from 2000( a 7mm-08 in the Rem Ti), and one from 2005 ( a Mtn rifle in 280). All will shoot moa if I am doing my part. All metal work is first rate...stock work, I've not considered since I have put HS Precision and MCMillan's on all of them. Just wonder how many of the people knocking the "loss in quality" can really judge over time......

Your most recent from 2005 is just before quality nose dived IMO. I've owned 700's from roughly the same time periods as you and my opinion is there's a big difference in quality. The new ones still shoot IME but the fit and finish is the big difference. This is not just a Remington issue but can be seen across the board by most mfg's IMO. I've seen some recent Remingtons with recoil pads fit worse than any factory pad I've ever seen. I don't expect to see that when the price goes up 10% every year.

Just wonder how many of the people knocking the "loss in quality" can really judge over time......

I own remingtons from the 60s, 70s and 80s... I grew up shooting my father's 700s... I wish that my 700 CDL was half the gun my 1979 7mm Express BDL is... I also wish that my two new 870 Wingmasters were as well built as the 1966 Wingmaster my brother bought from me...

Your most recent from 2005 is just before quality nose dived IMO. I've owned 700's from roughly the same time periods as you and my opinion is there's a big difference in quality. The new ones still shoot IME but the fit and finish is the big difference.

My problem child 700 was built in 2006... I believe the both of my problem wingmasters were also from 2006...