Remington X-mark pro adjustable trigger

Red_Eagle

I got a 700 SPS-Varmint today. I'm trying to adjust the trigger, but nomatter what I do it won't go under 4 14 lbs. Is there some kind of trick to it that I don't know about?

Horseman

Have you broken through the sealant and sure you're actually moving the screw in the housing? Which screw are you adjusting?

Red_Eagle

The new trigger is basically like the old one with an adjustment screw in then trigger. I realized that after I took a second look at it. So, I just did a normal trigger job on it. It's breakinking at about 2 3/4 lbs now. I did one on my other model 700 last year, so it only tookm a few minutes.

jman841

I just turned that screw on the trigger out, made it break lighter. Dont have a gauge though so it could possibly be a placebo affect but sure does feel light. I like the trigger, breaks very clean.

What did you do for a "trigger job" on your's red eagle?

Horseman

One the X Mark you typically only have to adjust the pull weight screw. The X Mark has totally different geometry and usually overtravel and sear engagement do NOT need to be adjusted to reduce weight. They will not safely go below 2lbs according to the 5 I've adjusted so far. And every one of mine got to 2lbs - 2.25lbs. If one cannot be adjusted down near 2lbs I'd suggest flushing the trigger housing out with gun scrubber and compressed air. Follow with a blast of light oil like Rem-oil and blow out excess VERY well with compressed air again. 2 of mine had chunks of metal come out with a blast of gun scrubber.

Red_Eagle

I loosened the actual trigger pull adjustment screw on the front of the trigger housing. Then I adjusted the user adustable screw, to get it to break at just about 3 lbs even. I didnt like breaking any where below that. It was a pretty minute adjustment, so i didnt have to adjust for sear engagment or over travel like I did my last one. But, the my other 700 was breaking at over 5 lbs. It took about 45 minutes for that job.

Horseman

Sounds like your other one had the original style trigger? Those do take longer and require adjusting all 3 screws.

Even if you adjust the XMark Pro A LOT it will not usually require any adjustment of the other 2 screws. I've take these apart and they are actually a brilliant design that allows pull weight to change without affecting the other qualities of the trigger. The parts are far better polished than the old style trigger and there are less of them too.

Red_Eagle

The 223 had the old style trigger, and yes, every time I moved one screw I had to adjust the other 2. Got the trigger pull where I wanted it and the was too much over travel. Adjusted that then it wouldnt cock. It was pretty frustrating for a while.