Remington VTR, should I?

JKump

I am thinking about getting a Remington VTR in 308. Any first hand experience with this rifle would be good.
I am currently shooting a NEF Survivor w/monta carlo stock. This rifle also has a 22" barrel but it is a bull barrel and is 5 inches shorter. I use this rifle mostly for deer hunting. I have taking deer out to 200 yards with it but mostly shoot deer under 100 yards, however, I maybe doing more field hunting, so do I need another rifle.
Would the Remington VTR be that much of an improvement at the longer ranges (above 100 under 300 yards)?:confused:

GeauxTide

Love the VTR

My second 308 and I love it. Lots of bellering about current 700s with plastics stocks that don't shoot; however, not the case with me. Love the new trigger.

fyimo

The Remington 700 rifles are excellent and the only complaint I've heard is people not liking the stock. I just bought a 700 CDL in 35 Whelen and it's an excellent shooter.

I've read lots of comments around the forums of people not liking the new synthetic stocks on the SPS series of rifles.

Ryan044

I may be partial to plain guns that shoot great but, after have 3 different models I would look at savage and not look any further.
Just my 2 cents.

rickdavis81

I have the SPS tactical and think very highly of it. I looked at the VTR, but didn't care for the muzzle brake, triangle barrel or stock. But to each their own.

p99guy

they are making them without the muzzle break(which really doesnt do a whole lot, except direct a noise pulse at the overhead roof at the gun range)

horseman308

Related to the thread, is the triangular barrel anything special? It seems like that barrel would make it hard to re-stock if you wanted, so I wondered if it really does all it claims.

Oldfalguy

Oh my

goodness, never had a problem with hot barrel bolt actions affecting anything if the last shot after sighting in is done cold so that the first shot (cold) when it counts hits where it is supposed to- I mean really guys we do not fire that many rounds at a time with a bolt gun do we?:D