Remington UMC ammo.. Green&White or Yellow?

MosinM38

I was looking and found two differant batches of .40 ammunition.

BOTH remington, one batch 250 rounds in a yellow box, UMC Remington.
One batch 300 rounds in a Green and White Box, UMC Remington.

Is there any differance in the green and white, and yellow boxes?

The Yellow boxes are a fair bit cheaper than the G&W's, and I wanted to know if maybe they were even MORE generic in quality than the G&W's.

I have shot a fair bit of G&W in .38 and 9MM and am pretty happy with it.

Thanks.

Last time I bought a green and white box of Remington they were hollow points. All the yellow boxes of Remington I have ever bought were full metal jacket.

I can't say that all green and white boxes of Remington ammo are hollow tips because I don't buy factory ammo much, but that would account for a price difference and different packaging.

Hope someone can tell you definitely shortly.

MosinM38

Some of the G&W boxes are FMJ as well, but I dunno.

I guess I don't see the yellow-box UMC's much, and I was wondering if it was an older batch?

DG45

I usually fire UMC 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ cartridges in my 45 revolver using full moon clips. I've never had a problem with UMC ammo, and I will go the extra mile to buy it. I always used to buy it in the yellow boxes and I've recently seen those familiar yellow boxes still being used in advertising UMC 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ for sale on line, but I don't know what color box it might actually come in if you ordered it from that site. Locally, the only 230 grain UMC 45 FMJ I can find is in the green and white boxes you mention, so those green and white UMC boxes are definitely not just used to denote hollow point ammo. In fact the FMJ stuff I recently bought in the green and white boxes had exactly the same product number imprinted on the box as the product number shown for the stuff being sold on line that showed the yellow boxes in the website ad for about $17.95 a box (of 50). Anyway, I decided to try the local green and white boxed stuff and avoid the freight involved in an internet buy. I bought a 50 round box of the stuff locally for $19.95, and it seems to me to be exactly the same excellent ammo that used to be sold in the UMC yellow boxes. It's still brass cased; it's still FMJ. It still visually looks like a good quality round (for whatever that's worth), and it had the same big bang every time I pulled the trigger, and the same comforting jolt, and the same big .45 caliber hole in the targets. In other words, I had no problems at all with the green and white boxed stuff, but I admit I too greatly preferred the yellow boxes. The yellow boxes always seemed to say to me "economical but of high quality". The green and white box just says "cheap as we can make it" to me. (Although UMC actually ain't that cheap. You can buy much cheaper ammo - particularly the aluminum cased stuff - and it may be just as good as UMC. For me, it's just a matter of personal preference and I happen to prefer UMC even at a higher price. I do look for sales though.)

If I remember right, the yellow boxes were the older ones sold as "UMC". I don't remember them saying "Remington" on them.

The green & white ones say "Remington", but not UMC.

I think.... all the new Remington UMC ammo I've bought in the last year was the green & white box, either FMJ or JHP.