Remington Triggers

warbirdlover

In another thread I was told by Gander salespeople that Remington no longer puts adjustable X-Mark Pro triggers on their guns. They were right.

Today I bought a new SPS Buckmasters .270 Win. at Midwest Shooters Supply in Lomira and while it DOES have the new X-Mark Pro trigger they've taken the adjustment screw out. None of the Remingtons had adjustable triggers. The promo tag attached to the trigger showed it with an adjustment screw and a tool. Either they had a recall from dealers or the new ones were changed before leaving the factory. Their website still says it's adjustable.

The trigger as set from the factory is silky smooth, crisp and really nice. I'd say about 3-4 lbs. somewhere. I can make it work.

http://www.remington.com/sitecore/content/Remington/pages/xmark-pro-trigger.aspx

mshootnit

I dont trust anything new from big green. They had that 710 with a polymer teflon coated receiver that was supposed to be slick but was actually sticky. That sucked so they changed it to metal. Then they had the 17hmr semi auto that they now have recalled completely. I can list about 3 or 4 more troubling things with Rem's I have seen lately which all kind of get back to quality control. I used to tune factory 700 triggers which had screws and could be set creep free and would break like glass. There was no need to change em, as long as they wound up in the hands of competent riflemen. I don't care much about the supposed safety problem because I NEVER trust ANY safety mechanism.
EDIT: I do like the remington (bushmaster) AR's. I forgot to mention that new polymer pump gun that sucks too why do a new pump when you have the 870? WHY?

ethan95

Good idea but..........

i got an R700 SPS tactical with the x-mark adjustable trigger about 6 months ago. It works fine but it feels like a piece of junk, enough to the point that i question its reliability. I like the fact that its adjustable, but not its actual quality. I'm looking into a Timney trigger for Christmas :D

jmr40

I'm as critical of Remington for their unsafe triggers as anyone. But if they can make it right, they will win me back as a supporter.

Remington has always had the best feeling trigger of any factory trigger. If the new trigger is set at around 3 lbs and is crisp I could care less if is adjustable.

The problems at Remington started 50-60 years ago and probably none of the folks responsible still work there. They left a mess for current employees and their mistakes may eventually kill the company.

The new trigger is a step in the right direction.

Oodalink

Re: Remington triggers

Warbirdlover:

check my earlier thread on Remington x-mark pro triggers. The triggers at Gander Mountain, Dick's Sports etc are in fact, x-mark pro triggers. However, they are the first generation x-mark pro trigger (2007-2009), with adjustment screw only accessible by removing the stock. The Remington url I posted on the earlier forum is direct from Remington Arms, and it states that the first generation x-mark pro trigger can only be adjusted by an authorized Remington repair facility in order NOT to void the warranty. Most of these retail establishments are clearing out rifles with the first generation triggers, hence the promo-tag on the trigger guard. It is still a very smooth trigger, but not user-adjustable (under warranty)

warbirdlover

The Remington I just bought was still in the box and has the newer (2010) camo pattern on it. It's not the older version. Gander and Midwest Shooters Supply did not have ONE 700 (in any price range) with an X-Mark Pro adjustable trigger. The trigger "X-Mark Pro tag" on my rifle showed the adjustment feature but the rifle did not have it. So I do not believe you can buy a current 700 with an adjustable trigger anywhere. Maybe find a 2009 model that hasn't been converted?

Last edited:
Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Bought this gun a couple of months ago. It had been on the shelf at the gun store for a couple-three months. It has the trigger that you are not supposed to adjust (3 screws and the stock has to be removed and the warranty void etc) The trigger pull is sucky. The gun shot pretty fair groups for the first day out (two weeks ago) and with a nicer trigger pull it might shoot really good. I am debating: Ta heck with the warranty and adjust the factory trigger? Or change out the trigger with a Timney and if it needs warranty work, reinstall the original trigger?:confused:

So this begs the question, why do gun maufacturers make guns with such nasty triggers? For years Ruger made rifles that had triggers worse than the pot metal toy revolvers I had as a kid.

One other comment. My Savage 22-250 has the accutrigger and it is nice. That spoiled me. Even makes up for the sloppy ugly synthetic stock. :D