Remington SPS Tactical/ Manners Stock Range Report w/pics

shooter_john

A few months ago I decided that I wanted a nice precision Remington, so I sold off a couple of my Savages to finance the new project. I ended up getting the SPS Tactical 20" 308, and I also ordered a Manners T4 stock to go with the rifle. Well my stock arrived yesterday so I got it all put together and ventured out into the cold Alabama rain this afternoon to shoot a couple of groups. The only covered firing line at work is on the shotgun/ combat range, so I was limited to about 85 yards to work with, but I was in no mood to be wet and cold, so I went with it. I also had to zero a buddies hunting rifle, so I just went with three shot groups as bad as I hate 3 shot groups in order to save time. Needless to say I was quite happy with the results...
(all shots were from prone with squeeze bag and bipod)
700SPSGroup.jpg

700SPSGroup2.jpg

And here is my stick...

700SPS1-1.jpg

700SPS2.jpg

The Manners is absolutely awesome, and is just as nice as any McMillan I've ever handled. Wait time on mine was only eight weeks.
This rifle already has a 7 point and a nice doe under its belt with the former Hogue stock on it, hopefully the Manners can get in on the action this next week. Our weather is going to be absolutely perfect for good hunting this week!

jman841

I bought the Rem 700 SPS V in .308. i believe its the same exact rifle except for the 26" barrel vs the 20" barrel. I put a Choate tactical stock on it and love it. I do wish i went with the Tactical however because the shorter barrel does seem to group better from what i have read.

If i were to cut my 26" barrel down would it be able to replicate the accuracy of the tactical? or is there some other change in design or barrel that i am not aware of? I believe both have the same twist rate and as long as i have it properly cut and crowned it should fire better i think

shooter_john

jman...
If you really want a 20", then go for it. But like you said, just be sure that it is recrowned properly. I've got a couple of 26'ers, and it is really amazing how much handier the 20" is. Not to mention, it does shoot pretty well if I do say so myself.

I'm pretty sure the 26" has a 1-12" twist too... The 20" has a 1-10".

deadeye1122

what scope?

What scope did you mount? I just bought a 700 sps .308 but will leave the stock as is. Purchased a 3-9 inch bi pod and still unable to pick a scope. I have a leupold vx11 3x9x40 gloss available but doesn't look right.To bright. Any suggestions by you or other members would be appriceated (sp) thanks deadeye

Ishyid

Awsome!!! First of all, I love the smiley face sticker, reminds me of COD Modern Warefare 2. And Second, where on earth did you get that butt bullet holder? I love that, and want to get one for my remy.

jman841

oh really? I wonder if the 1 in 12 twist rate will work properly with a 20 or 22 inch barrel? I think i am gong to wait a little to do it, maybe once the crown starts to weaken or barrel starts to burn out a bit. But its one of the last things on my to do list for that rifle. The 26" barrel shoots great but i think if i were to cut it, it would shoot even better.

shooter_john

For the time being it has a Nikon Monarch 4-16x40 SFMD mounted until I save up the $ for either a Nikon Monarch X (formerly the Nikon Tactical) or either a Leupold LR/T.

The stock pack is a Blackhawk, and I like it a lot better than the Eagle stock packs that have the black suede-ish pad on them. The Blackhawk has their hawktex material for the pad. The Blackhawk part number for the pack is 90CP02OD. (Upon further investigation, it looks like they've discontinued the OD packs (no clue why they'd do that) but if you look around I'm sure you could find one somewhere.) I paid about $30 for mine.

Thanks to everyone for your comments on my rifle. It instantly took status as my #1 favorite once I got it all together.

olyinaz

Stock weight?

How heavy do you find that stock? Rigidity? Bedding?

Thanks,
Oly

Last edited:

shooter_john

How heavy do you find that stock? Rigidity? Bedding?

Weight, per the Manners site is 2.8lbs. I haven't had mine bedded yet, but obviously it does alright just like it is. Rigidity is superb. This stock is every bit as good as any McMillan I've ever put my hands on. Mineis the T4 model.