Remington SPS 243

44caliberkid

Remington 700 SPS 243

I bought this rifle in an online auction back in August. I’ve only had time to pick it up and drive it home. It is a Buckmasters edition with a green camo stock (Realtree) and has a 3x9 Bushnell scope on it. Paid $400 for it. Finally got it to the range today. The Bushnell is a POS, like looking through a cloud. I tried some Hornady 87 grain V-Max and got about a two inch group, while making some scope adjustments and figuring out my grip and shooting position. I had some unmarked handloads that I probably got in a junk box at a previous live auction years ago, so I tried those just to empty the brass. With the barrel already warm to hot, I got 5 shots under 3/4 inch at 100 yards, and I was ready to call two fliers on that group, apparently not. The orange dot is 3 inches in diameter. So I know the rifle has great potential but I don’t even know the bullet weight on those reloads. Hopefully I can recreate it. Very happy with the rifle, gonna have to see if I can find a better scope in my collection.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

tango1niner

Did you clean the scope lenses with eyeglass cleaner and a soft cloth ? If not, try it before you junk the scope. If you put 5 shots into 3/4" @ 100 it can't be that bad...

just sayin'...

eastbank

i bought a sps in .260 on close out with a 24" barel and 1-8 twist, with a 140 gr bullet and n-560 its a moa or better at 100 yrds rifle.

Paul B.

If you have any of that ammo left, pull one of the bullets and weigh it. Post a picture and maybe some one will be able to identify it. I haven't shot a .243 in more years than I care to count but I always had excellent accuracy with the 100 gr. Hornady SP. I never used the .243 on big game but kids I let use the rifle took deer handily with the load. This was back in the mid to late 70s when I lived in Nevada so I don't remember the load.
Paul B.

Picher

Seems like a promising rifle. It may benefit by glassbedding the action and free-floating the barrel. I've done that to many rifles and it always made a good rifle into a great one, provided the bore is decent and the crown is clean.
JP

GeauxTide

Bought a couple of SPS rifles. Plastic stocks are crap, so get a Boyd's. Now, they both shoot 1/2" with selected handloads.