Remington Speed Master model 552

mc223

Neet little guns. I have one and my daughter has one. Great for quiet work in the yard. Like pesky squirrels, crows, or woodpeckers. They seem to like Remington shorts best and will be an individual preference for long and long rifle.
Super simple to operate, just watch that left side reciprocating charge handle. Not enough to hurt ya but will wake you up.

skoro

I've owned a 552 for more than 21 years now. Just avoid Remington ammo and you'll find it's a very fine rifle. Mine likes CCI Mini-mags and Winchester Super-X best.

Pahoo

Overall, very serviceable and accurate rifle. Does not cycle as well as the 10/22's but if the price is right, not a problem ..... :barf:

Be Safe !!!

Scorch

Overall, the 552 is a very nice little rifle, very accurate and fast-cycling. They can be tricky to disassemble and reassemble, but a periodic cleaning will increase their reliability.

Buzzcook

Thanks guys. I'll have a chance to look at it later today or tomorrow. Hopefully the other bidders will be going after the centerfires and let this one go.

http://salesroom.sunsetauction.com/04302011nextnight3.html

nextnight058.jpg

I'll have to move that scope forward.

Scorch

I'll have to move that scope forward
Good luck with that. The 552 pictured has a one-piece scope/base on it, and the tip-off mount is all the way forward on the tip-off rail on the receiver. You will want to replace that scope anyway, it looks like a 3/4" Bushnell .22 scope, one of the cheap scopes sold specifically for 22s back in the day. You can pick up a 1" .22 scope with rings for $50 or so.

Buzzcook

Yup it is a cheap scope. And the bluing around the action is pretty scuffed up.
Everything else looks good.
I'm hoping that $200 will win it and I'll drop out at $300. That seems to be what they go for on gunbroker.

lead head

I've had the same one since childhood. Put a cheap BB gun scope on it when I was very young. Still have that puny little scope on it and love it. As mentioned you do have to get used to that left side action but it's one of my favorite 22's. Mine seems to shoot every type of ammo well.