Remington Shell Loading Problems

DadsMod12

A few years ago I bought a case of Remington 12 gauge sport loads. Most of them will not fit in the tube of my Winchester Model 12. They range from 22.29 to 22.39 in diameter. Any suggestions on how to make them work?

Seriously, this SAAMI diagram confirms your problem. Looking at the lower drawing, the diameter of your shells exceeds the maximum diameter of a 12 GA chamber by @2 mm. I am guessing that moisture/humidity has gotten to them and caused them to swell, but that isn't even an educated guess.

I'll tell you what NOT to do. DO NOT dry them out in the oven!:eek:

Edit: I should point out that the upper drawing is of a shell showing that the diameter of the hull (not the base) is a maximum of 20.24 mm with a tolerance of -0.51 mm.

Last edited:

xm21

I had a similar problem with Winchester AA's in my 1942 vintage Ithaca Model 37 20 ga a few years ago.The rims were slightly out of spec (it looked as if they were flatter than other shells compared to them making them slightly oversize)and they did not feed well.I bought them at a going out of business sale along with a box of PMC shells that had hulls over 2 3/4" long after firing which had trouble getting out of the ejection port due to the excess length.The only shells that gun has choked on in 72 years of use,go figure.