Remington Rolling Block

A buddy of mine has what is believed to be a Remington Rolling Block chambered in .45-70Govt. I haven't personally seen it, but from what he's described, it's in good condition. He's wanting to know a very rough ballpark on it's value. I and another coworker are interested in purchasing it. I don't know much about them so bear with me.

There's a "B" stamped on the side and has 3 rings.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

williamd

Not an expert but someone out here is.
Appears to be a No 1 rolling block. Looks like stock may be revarnished??? A local shop has a rolling block in 7x57 and they are asking $3k. The No 1 - according to Blue Book - may be significantly more.

kiwi56

Can't read the writing on it but maybe you could let us know what it says.
Definitely looks like a Remington No 1 and the 45-70 calber reinforces that view. The no 1 was also made for Sweden by Husqvarna and also produced for Norway but not sure who Norways manufacturer was. The Swedish rifles were originally chambered for the 12.7mm x 44mmR cartridge which was ballistically equivalent to the 50-70 government round. Both of these rounds can have cases made out of 348 winchester cases. Not sure of price but the blue book of gun values may help. If you do buy it I would suggest only loading Black powder and would not advise using any of the current factory smokeless loads as the Rolling Block action is not the strongest action around. As a precaution have a proper gunsmith check this rifle out before firing it, just to stay safe.

kraigwy

I bought one like that SIGHT UN SEEN, (only pictures) from a young fellow I met in a chat room about 5 years ago. I gambled and paid $800 (and he paid shipping from Flordia).

It had no markings as to caliber. Based on his discription I thought it was a 45-70. Soon as I got it, I firgured I got a good buy, (based on what I wanted). Only thing, I could tell right off it wasnt a 45-70. I didnt know what it was.

I did a chamber cast, measured it every way from Sunday, usning Cart, of the World, determined it was a 44-90 Sharps Bottleneck. Not much info about that round, but a bit of research I discovered it was only made a couple years as a Target Round. Anyway, using 348 Win Brass, and RCBs dies, I ended up with quite the shooter.

So basicly you are gonna have to do a chamber cast to determine what you have. There were tons of those rifles made in 43 Spanish.

But like I said, depends on how bad one wants it, and if he is into old Rolling Blocks. I'm happy with the mine for $800.

Buffalo.jpg

Scorch

A lot of good info here, I will add a few comments:
* That rifle has definitely been refinished (caustic blued, refinished stock), so it is no longer a collector's piece, so forget the $3K price. That puts it in the shooter category, I see them frequently for $1000-$1500. It is in nice shape, though, so you might give a premium for it.
* That rifle started life as a military musket, so it could have been a 43 Spanish at one point, but it's hard to say, it does have the right sight for it. If it has been rebarreled, they did a nice job. Unless you know for certain, do a chamber cast.
* Those old Rolling Blocks do not take very stout loads, so don't even think about shooting anything except BP or equivalent loads.

Thanks for the info, fellas. I'll pass this on and persuade him to have my gunsmith inspect it. If it is, in fact, been refinished, that's a heartbreaker. I wouldn't be able to cough up $3k+ for it if it was in original condition. So, I have to say it may be a blessing in disguise for me anyway.

If anyone else has any information, by all means, post away.

didn't see this thread earlier... pics aren't showing up for me today...

I have a Remington #1 that was customized in the 60's or 70's really nice wood... I thought I got great deal at $500.00... when I got it, it was chambered in 225 Winchester & even though several of the action parts were exchanged with smokeless parts, my reciever was still a #1 ( black powder ) my local builder was concerned about the pressures of the 225 Winchester, so we rebarreled with an 8mm, & chambered it in 32-40...

BTW... for those with Rollin Block "shooters"... my local builder replaced the pins with custom oversized pins to tighten things up to target standards... but one thing we also did, was lighten that big heavy old hammer by drilling a large hole in a spot that is not visible & in no way weakens the hammer... this removed a hunk of iron almost the size of a marble, & speeds up the lock time quite a bit, while still leaving enough weight to reliably dent the primers

I also just bought a custom ( old Navy Arms rolling block action ) built rifle in 40-65, while looking around G.B. to see what anything similar might be selling for... I found even the nicer replicas are going for around a $1,000.00 & up...

I just paid $625.00 for my newest one, but I got if from a buddy that needed some cash, & didn't really want to sell it, but wanted me to have it... I think it was worth at least twice what I paid for it... so I'd think anything in shooter grade, that is nice, is worth at least $1,000.00 - $1,500.00