Remington rolling block pistol?

Captainkirk

A buddy of mine found one in an antique shop. He's not sure of the caliber and believes it to be original. Any idea on years of manufacture, caliber options, and approximate value range if original?
Unfortunately, I don't have any more info than that, or pictures.

Jim Watson

1867-1907 not counting light No 4 training rifles up into the 1930s.
Well over a million made, mostly foreign military contract rifles but a wide variety of target and sporting models in small to medium numbers.
About any caliber of the period, .22 Short - .50-70 plus .30-30, .30-40, and 7x57.
$200 - $14,000 +

I know that is not a lot of help but you have to give more to get more.

Captainkirk

Thanks for the reply...wish I had more info to give you! He said it was a rolling block pistol, fairly large bore, and he believed it was original. They were asking $1300.00, which I reckoned would be a good price if it were.

Jim Watson

A Remington Rolling Block PISTOL.
Well, that clears things up a bit, not many of those to pick from.
There were the 1865 Navy with spur trigger.
Early ones were .50 rimfire. Scarce and valuable but not shootable.
Later were .50 centerfire shootable if you want to go to the trouble and expense.
Then the 1867 Navy with trigger guard and the 1871 Army with different butt shape.
Seems kind of silly, revolvers were well established by then.
Scarce to rare.

Target models of 1891, calibers .22, .25, and .32 rimfire and .32 S$W.
Very very rare.
Model of 1901, calibers .22, .25, and .44 S&W.
Very rare.
Caution, there are a relatively large number of sporterized Army models hard to tell from the target guns. Complicated by at least some of the factory targets being built on military actions.

Blue Book shows an 1887 Plinker not listed by Flayderman.

$1300 seems not out of line, IF original and in good condition.

rodent.22

I've got a Navy Arms .22 Rolling Block pistol. I looked for over 20 years before I was able to find it....

Last edited: