Remington Rand NO. 18052XX

Tad_T

I served in the US Army as a 19K Abrams Armor Crewman from 1982-2003.

This picture is from May 1991 in Southern Iraq. In my holster is a 1944 Remington Rand. *

2013-05-08T21-12-54.jpg

I recently stumbled across a Remington Rand that was virtually identical except for the last two digits of the serial number.

I figured that this was a sign.*

2013-06-28T21-58-40.jpg

2013-06-28T21-58-57.jpg

2013-06-28T21-59-12.jpg

2013-06-28T21-59-46.jpg

2013-06-28T22-00-03.jpg

WARRIOR I

Tad T, I can't help but feel a little ill looking at your photos. When I was stationed in Germany during the 60s, I picked up one of those at our Rod & Gun Club identical to yours. I promptly took it downtown and had it stripped, polished and refinished in a beautiful deep blue, thereby destroying virtually all of it's collector value.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Yours wasn't the only one in the Middle East. I know a guy who was with State Department security (I am not sure of the exact name of the organization), whose job at one time was guarding Karzai, the kind of job that just might be hazardous to one's health. He rejected all the new hardware and carried a WWII R-R; he said he knew it would work and that the .45 caliber gave him an edge over 9mm.

Jim

rodfac

Tad, it sure as hell was a sign...way to go, brother and welcome home. I'd give my left nut for the .45 I carried on my first tour in Vietnam...and the right one for the Browning HP that accompanied me on my 2nd. I too found a Remington Rand, virtually identical to the one I carried, albeit with a different serial number...here's the pic...and many thanks for your service. Best Regards, Rod

HKGuns

The CMP should take on the challenge of distributing all of the surplus 1911's so many of us carried while in the Military. I know I would snap up at least one if not two. They could even further restrict it to former Military only. I hate to think of what they are doing to all of those fine pistols that saw so much service.

cheezhed

You did not have to put the xx at the end of the serial # as it is clearly visible
in the photos of your pistol. Very nice looking pistol you have there.

Tad_T

Thanks, y'all and thanks to y'all that served as well.

I know that you can see the #'s in the photo. It's about two pistols with those numbers that match.

Does anyone know or have a reference that explains the "F" markings on the left side. I can't find anything that explains them.

If they ever were made available through the CMP I am sure that the response would be overwhelming.

My first working party in the FMF LANT was to pack up all of the 1911s in the armory and break out the M9s. I knew next to nothing about those old pistols. I knew they were WWII issue and that they were so worn out that they felt like they would fall apart if shaken too hard. I took no notice of manufacturer ,markings, or "correctness."
I had the chance to fam fire one in boot camp and even though I grew up shooting hand guns, I was unable to make head shots on a man sized target @ 7 yards with that old shooter. Before you start squawking that it was me, I fired expert making head shots with the M9 5 years in a row.
Anyway, even though they were worn out, I still wanted one just because they were carried into battle by hard corps Marines fighting hard core enemies.
I now own several 1911s, (never an M9) but I have yet to own an M1911.
Congratulations on your score. I hope to join you someday soon.

Tad_T

Range Report

I went out and fired my new old pistol today.

This was the first magazine fired out of of my 1944 Remington Rand.

2013-07-04T21-00-25.jpg

It was at a range of 10 meters from standing.

This was from 25 meters standing. The one to the left was on me. I called it.

2013-07-04T21-00-39.jpg

I fired 100 rounds of 230 FMJ ball. No malfunctions. No stoppages.

I have a new all time favorite pistol.