Remington Rand 1911A1 -43/-44 markings

daan

Hey there.

I just bought this Remington rand but can't figure out what these stamps mean or where they come from. I have searched but hope someone here can help me decipher them.
I have found out that it is from 1943 - 1944 based on the serial number, but maybe someone here can tell me more. The barrel is a SW replacement based on the number 7791193 but the marking 5 on the frame and the G on the frame and on the mag and the O on the frame.?

Attachments

• IMG_3437.jpeg
    IMG_3437.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3442.jpeg
    IMG_3442.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3447.jpeg
    IMG_3447.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 78

jcj54

FJA is the inspector stamp, P means proof fired. The other marks are assembler stamps.
The frame has been stippled which affects the value.

44 AMP

Staff
while improving its "shootability" for some people, the stippling on the frame has basically wrecked the collector value.

FJA is the inspectors stamp for Col. Frank Atwood, who was the officer in charge of the Rochester Ordnance production district, which included Remington and Ithaca.

You'll see his stamps on M1 carbines, M1903A3 rifles, and a host of Remington firearm models that were accepted for military service.

daan

thanks for your info.. :) I am still looking for something on number 5 on the Frame. I see some Remingtons have numbers there but what dos it mean and why. :) Yes the stippled part is not standard but still a nice gun.

Lurch37

In one of my Clawson books, in the Remington Rand section, he states, "beginning shortly after serial number 1300000, various numbers and/or letters were stamped on the sides of the trigger guard to signify factory inspections.

Also, the 3rd type slide marking and NO. serial number prefix of your pistol signifies new production after the plant shutdown.

I can also see a faint Ordnance Dept. "crossed cannon" to the rear of the right grip which is the Final Inspection Mark.

Jim Watson

“5” is likely the assembler or inspector’s stamp.
You know, like the slip you used to find in the pocket of a new pair of slacks.