Remington Rand 1911

grubbylabs

A friend said he has one that his wife's grandfather carried in WWII, what would a gun like that be worth?

By the way I fondled a Springfield to day, bad Idea. I told the clerk she better take it back because I love my wife.

Doyle

Huge variability. From as little as $500 or so to over $3000. One big contributor is whether or not all the parts are original. Here is the problem with war trophy 1911's: Even though they all look alike (other than minute differences a real expert can spot), they were made by several manufacturers. As the military used them and they needed servicing, the armorers would put them back together with parts from different manufacturers. They would just reach into their parts bins and grab the first one they came to. They couldn't care less that the frame was a Remington Rand and the slide was made by Ithaca and the barrel made by Union Signal, etc. A "mutt" works just as well as a "purebread".

For owners today, a mutt in poor condition gets the bottom price. A purebread in mint condition gets premium price. Most fall somewhere in the middle.

grubbylabs

I just recently purchased a XD compact but I have my sights set on a 1911 and so they have my curiosity at the moment. I can certainly see one being my next gun purchase.

Captain Nice

It depends on condition. I've seen them on Gun Broker with all original parts go for from $700 to $1,500. I have an early one in excellent condition made in 1943 with a six digit serial number. The frames are not stamped Remington Rand but you can verify the manufacturer as the ordinance department assigned ranges of serial numbers to each contractor. My dad purchased it from the DCM in 1958 for $25; I would bet it is worth about a grand today. Remington Rand was just starting up production in 1943 and used some parts from other manufacturers. My gun definitely has a Colt wide spur hammer. Barrels were made by High Standard and have an "HS" stamped on the right side and a "P" for "passed" inspection on the left side. The left side of the frame is stamped with the “FJA” cartouche under the slide release for the ordinance department inspector Col. Frank J. Atwood. There are also three variations of the Remington Rand name and Syracuse, NY address stamped on the left side of the slide. It’s a great gun and I do take it down to the range and fire it from time to time. I have often wondered what kind of action it saw during the war.

Last edited:

HDDeluxe

I have an all original Remington Rand made in 1945. I purchased it 30 years ago and have used it as a shooter (replacing the original barrell, slide, etc. for shooting), and it is as good as some of my other .45s that are much newer, and supposedly fancier and better (?). As far as the value of one of the Remingtons as others have posted "it all depends". The ranges given are fairly accurate. I enjoy having a piece of history that is not a safe queen and has been the subject of many great conversations at the range.

jaysouth

CaptianNice:

Interesting to note that not many issued small arms taken overseas were ever returned.

Most small arms shipped to the Pacific were buried at sea or warehoused to be handed out to some friendly nations.

Small arms carried to Europe were warehoused. Some were reissued to US occupation units rotating to Europe, some were scrapped and some were given to various military and police units in Europe.

The chances that you have a legally acquired 1911A1 that saw combat are slim.

I mention 'legally', a lot of handguns were stolen by returning GIs and are now in circulation. Officers could buy their pistols, and many did. There are some of these in circulation.

Captain Nice

Jaysouth,

You are probably correct in that many of the government issued 1911’s were either stolen or brought home illegally by returning GI’s. As far as my gun is concerned, I have the original purchase document issued by the Rock Island Ordinance Depot, Rock Island, Illinois, DD Form 1149-4 Voucher No 58548 consigning the gun to my dad. I was wrong about the purchase price being $25.00, it was $17.00. The description on the form is “Pistol, caliber .45 M1911 Series, Unserviceable”. Go figure what the government considers unserviceable, the gun is tight and functions perfectly. I served as an MP in the military and in the course of my service have handled a few 1911’s many of which couldn’t compare to the condition of my gun.

dogngun

I bought one around 1971 for $150 including some WWII era steel cased ammo. It was pretty beat up, but it shot just fine. I was dumb enough to sell it a few years later.

mark

Chris_B

I should think "unserviceable" means "not turned in for Arsenal rebuild". ie: the pistol is considered 'unserviceable' regardless of condition, until the Arsenal says its 'serviceable'. Since yours didn't go to the arsenal, it retained the 'unserviceable' status

That's an educated guess

By the way, Uncle Sam and the AFTF don't give a hoot about the 'stolen' pistols from WWI and WWII. It's interesting that we use the term 'stolen'. Yes, taken and not paid for...or were they actually paid for in terror blood and tears? Interesting philosophical and moral conundrum- some troops never saw combat at all, but I am certain that all sacrificed for their country. I say they were paid for even if greenbacks didn't change hands. Yes, that does mean I think its okey-dokey that those vets tucked them into their bags and smuggled them home, and no, I don't think it would be alright if somebody stole my "US PROPERTY" Colt M1911

If that means I contradict myself, then I contradict myself. I am vast; I contain multitudes

Captain Nice

PHP:
Yes, taken and not paid for...or were they actually paid for in terror blood and tears?

Chris B,

You hit the nail right on the head when you considered how these guns were really paid for. My gun’s historical value means more to me than any monetary value it may have. Besides, it belonged to my dad and I wouldn’t part with it for any price. My gun is not remarkable in any way, it’s one of millions made during WWII. Although I don’t know for sure, I still would like to think of it having been in the Pacific in the hands of Marine like John Basilone turning back some crazed banzai charge. Or maybe it was there for the Normandy invasion in the hands of a stalwart GI fighting his way through the hedgerow country. I can only imagine what its story is. What ever it is, it’s a piece of American history when brave men fought and made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. I will always think of it that way.

hhb

Colt 1911-A1

Keep in mind if you buy a WWII era Colt made between 1942 and the end of production, the Col't have two serial numbers. One is on the frame, and the other matching number is under the firing pin slide plate. It was common practice for troops to clean pistols together, and ending up with the wrong slide on the wrong gun was common.

grubbylabs

So update:

My friends gun is an all matching numbers gun and they have had it appraised at about 3,000

It saw service in the south pacific, the gun was my friend's wife's great grandfathers.

guypowell

I carried a Remington Rand for the two years I was in Vietnam. Sure wish I could afford to buy one in decent shape just for "old times sake."

Captain Nice

My friends gun is an all matching numbers gun and they have had it appraised at about 3,000

Remington Rand 1911 A1's only have serial numbers on the frame. The slides are stamped "REMINGTON RAND INC. , SYRACUSE NY U.S.A." or "REMINGTON RAND INC, SYRACUSE NEW YORK U.S.A.". So what number matches what number? It would have to be brand new in the original serial numbered shipping box to be worth $3,000.

grubbylabs

The gun returned from the pacific with all the same parts it went to the pacific with. Is what my friends wife said.

RickB

Keep in mind if you buy a WWII era Colt made between 1942 and the end of production, the Col't have two serial numbers.

I think Colt's were actually stamped in two places for a relatively short period of time, ending in 1943 or '44. I don't have my references with me, but not many Colts have serialed slides. What is sort of strange, it seems to me, is a late Colt with a slide and frame that match, in terms of finish and wear, are assumed to be "original", while my '42 Colt, with a slide number three digits off that frame number is a "mismatch", and thus devalued, even though that slide and frame could have been together since '42.
Edit: OK, there are LOTS of Colts with numbered slides, owing to the terrific number of pistols cranked-out during the war, but numbering slides ended in 1944. Colt made over 250,000 pistols in 1944-45.

Last edited:

COK

$3000 may be the appraised value but most I see with matching numbers in nice shape sell for about half that or a bit less. Condition is everything.

Captain Nice

The gun returned from the pacific with all the same parts it went to the pacific with. Is what my friends wife said.

With all due respect to the lady. There is no way she can possibly know that for sure.