Remington R1 Enhanced Issues

Minorcan

I hate to start off this way but I don't want this to be a Remington bashing thread, But ... here it goes ... I just got a Remington E1 Enhanced 9mm and it is plagued with Failures to Feed. One or two rounds a magazine the shell extracts but does not totally eject. The slide catches it and the spent case is parallel to the barrel. The next round is extracted and is laying below the unspent case. To clear I eject the magazine and the unspent (next) round falls out. Then I rack the slide and the spent case falls out. I used both the Remington magazines and two Wilson Combat 10 round magazines. No difference, so probably not magazine related. I also used three different 115g ball ammo; Remington, Winchester and Federal. No difference so probably not ammo related.

So home I go and try to register on-line. I keep getting an error message that I can't register on-line.

So I call Remington and get disconnected twice.

I finally get to speak to a CS Rep and she wants me t send a brand new gun in for service. They will pay both ways but the gun has to be picked up from my house. I travel so am not usually home. I ask and I can't drop the gun at UPS, they have to pick it up.

I really wish I had followed my rule and not bought anymore Remington products.

I'm pretty good with guns including 1911s. I suspect a loose extractor. I checked and it looks tight but how to be sure? OK enough ranting, based on my description any recommendations to try before sending it in?

1stmar

Not sure I'm following what's happening but it does sound like an extra for issue. The extractor needs to be "tuned" not just tight. Check you tube I'm sure there are some videos for it. Just needs to be bent a bit to hold the rim. Could be an ejector issue but likely extractor.

DaleA

I think you should send it back and let Remington fix the problem for you.

That said: anybody know of someway the poster could (legally) get his gun picked up? I don't know, could a neighbor or relative legally be the pickup point and dropoff point? Could the FFL he bought it from?

Good luck.

Minorcan

Dale, I travel a lot and may not be around when they come to pick it up and may not be there when they drop it off. I suggested that I have UPS pick it up from my LGS but Remington said no. The LGS was fine with it at no charge, I would of course give them a bit for doing though. Maybe some Christmas Cheer !!! :D

Minorcan

After some closer examination I did an extractor test and the pistol passed. The bullet fit test passed. But ...the ejector is a little loose. It is double pined but somewhat loose. Any recommendations for a quick fix?

lamarw

I sent my R1 back to Remington a few years back. It was not due to an issue with the pistol. It was because Remington wanted to check it and clean it for free within the first year of the Platinum Warranty. I placed the label on the package and dropped it off at the nearest town's Going Postal business that handles USPS, UPS and FedEx. It was returned to my home address after servicing within ten days.

I have done the same with Sig Sauer on a couple of occasions when I needed factory work.

By the way, we dropped some Christmas packages off today at the Going Postal business. The owner stated that UPS is getting ready to raise rates by 14%. On top of this, anytime in the future you drop off a UPS shipment, even with the pre-paid label, it is going to cost one dollar in addition.

Minorcan

lamarw, I tried to get them to let me do t that way but they wouldn't. They require it be picked up from home and returned. They also wouldn't let the LGS act as a go between.

Ibmikey

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with the pistol and unbending policy for pick up that makes little sense. I have two R1's, RM 380 and a R51 and had no trouble registering the warranty and when i called and advised one of my mags was giving me troubles they sent a new mag that very day.
Unlike many reports i have read on forums my Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS all have given exceptional service, i was disappointed they closed H&R as my 300 Blackout is a real Texas pig killer... I would like another in 223 with the same features as the AAC Blackout.

DaleA

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with the pistol and unbending policy for pick up that makes little sense.

+1. Yeah. That's crazy.

Don't have a house sitter you could trust do you?

P71pilot

I doubt this will solve anything, but try some hotter 124gr and 147gr ammo. 115gr is quite anemic and perhaps the gun likes higher powered loads better

Goatwhiskers

1. You could have the LGS send it in for you.
2. Ship from a UPS hub, not from one of the "stores", those will not accept firearms.
Hope this helps. GW