Remington R-25 in .308: Lessons Learned?

Doc Intrepid

Just purchased a Remington R-25 in .308 Win. (Its similar to an Armalite AR-10, basically an M-16 platform chambered for 7.62x54mm.)

I am familiar with the AR platform, and the .308 cartridge, but haven't gotten this rifle to the range yet.

Do any of you guys have additional background information regarding the design and development of Remington's R-25 modular rifle; (who Remington partnered with to develop it); or any Lessons Learned from your own range trials with it?

Apologies to any who are offended by the question, I tried a Search but it didn't bring up many results.

Thanks,

Doc

csmsss

Well, there is that sportin' cammo paint job too...

The Remingtons seem to have a premium price compared to their DPMS counterparts; I'm not sure exactly why this is, but the upshot is that you can still find R-25's in gun stores whereas LR-308's are still fairly scarce. Whether the price difference is worth it is up to you.

rantingredneck

Yes, DPMS, Bushmaster, Remington, Marlin/H&R/NEF are now all owned by the same holding group. (seems like I'm forgetting someone there?)

Scorch

(Its similar to an Armalite AR-10, basically an M-16 platform chambered for 7.62x54mm.)
An AR-10 and AR-15 are not the same thing. They share many design characteristics, and they look similar, but tha AR-10 is not an AR-15.

The chambering is not 7.62X54mm, it is 7.62X51mm. While this may not seem ike a big deal to you, it is important to understand that the two cartridges described are not the same, and in fact would cause you a little grief if you were to buy 7.62X54mm cartridges and try to feed your rifle with them.

The company that owns Remington bought DPMS about a year ago, so your rifle is essentially a DPMS platform.

I bought one a few months back at a gun show. I got 1.25" - 1.50" groups with mine, which isnt bad for a semi-auto rifle. Mine had a lot of grease built up inside the bolt, so it didn't want to eject cases. Once I took the bolt apart and gave it a good cleaning, it was spitting cases over 5 feet away from a standing position. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but bills come first.

Technosavant

The Remingtons seem to have a premium price compared to their DPMS counterparts; I'm not sure exactly why this is, but the upshot is that you can still find R-25's in gun stores whereas LR-308's are still fairly scarce. Whether the price difference is worth it is up to you.

My guess is that it has to do with the Remington name stamped on the side and maybe a bit with the camo (licensing for the pattern and all that). Some folks will assume a rifle with "Remington" on it is higher quality and will spend the extra over an identical rifle with "DPMS" on the side.

Doc Intrepid

Thanks, guys.

I am aware that the 7.62 NATO cartridge is 51mm in length, but there are times when my fingers get typing faster than my brain follows. (And I don't proofread well either...) Please excuse the typo.

The DPMS link is what I was looking for. There are any number of companies that might have collaborated on the development of this rifle, and Remington announced in their literature that it was the result of such a collaboration - but they didn't identify with whom they'd collaborated.

The one I bought, new out of the box, was on sale at several hundred dollars off - I've no idea where that puts it relative to the DPMS .308, but it was less expensive than the FALs and much less expensive than the Stoners. I stripped it and cleaned it, there aren't any noticeable tool marks or other issues, and it appears to be well manufactured. I've no idea where it was made. I look forward to getting it to the range.

Thanks again for the information,

Doc

lmccrock

Cerebus is the hedge fund that has been buying these companies.
Cerberus is not exactly a hedge fund, but they also own GMAC and Chrysler.

The R-25 is a little lighter than the DPMS models of similar barrel length, the DPMS rifles are a bit heavy. Less weight is better for field carry, i.e., hunting.

The DPMS rifles start less than $1000, depending on options.

Lee

73-Captain

Remington R-25

"I am aware that the 7.62 NATO cartridge is 51mm in length, but there are times when my fingers get typing faster than my brain follows. (And I don't proofread well either...) Please excuse the typo."

Are you aware that they make SPELL CHECKERS?

NO proofreading required.

C.

Doc Intrepid

73-Captain:

A spell-checker is not going to catch a "54" that should have been a "51".

Try not to be a douche-bag.

bfoosh006:

Appreciate the link to the magazines.

Thanks.