Remington Question

shafter

Hey there, I've got a short barreled Remington New Army made by Pietta and when I lower the hammer I feel/hear a grating noise. Like something is rubbing against something. I hear it just as the front of the hammer begins to go throw the slot in the frame. I've examined it as best I can but I can't see what's wrong.

Is this a common problem with an easy fix? I took out the trigger and stop spring and tried lowering the hammer and it felt smooth.

Any ideas?

Hawg

It may be some roughness inside the frame. Try pushing the hammer to one side and then the other when you lower it to see if it stops. If it does some light stoning inside the frame is the cure.

GNLaFrance

Disassemble the action and examine the hammer, look for scratches/worn finish. Look at the top of the trigger and the area under the pawl for unusual wear.

You're looking for bright metal that's caused by rubbing where there shouldn't be any rubbing.

FloridaVeteran

Buddy of mine had the same issue out-of-the-box with an 1858 N.A. (long barrel) - took it apart and lightly took a Dremel tool to all the rough edges, just a bit at a time. Came out of it with an excellent trigger, no hammer drag. Sweet gun, now.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Sounds like the hammer cam riding over the tail of the bolt stop. Since both parts are hard, it will take a long time to "wear in" so some work would seem to be in order.

Jim

lobatebaka

Remington ? also

I have 1858 remy .44 and want to get a 45ACP conversion cylinder for it, because I'm already reloading for the 45.
so I'm looking for a kirst or R&D converter in 45ACP to fit a 1858 remy made by Pietta.

No Dremel Tool

Hand stone only.

Look for burrs and hand stone it away. Dremels cut very fast and it's too easy to wind up buying parts.

Doc Hoy

Member of note

Iobatebaka,

Welcome to the forum....

I guess you can tell that you came to the right place.