Remington pocket pistol

Tom2

I can't tell, does it have some sort of a adapter plate on the rear of the cylinder for firing cartridges? It is collectable for sure in the condition that it is now in. I cannot tell you a value but probably hundreds of dollars, even. That value is probably sort of subjective especially in the lower condition ranges. I have a replica of the cap and ball version of that gun, with brass frame. Payed 150$ for it. It would be interesting to get one if you wanted to see how they were to shoot. IF it was for sale, rather than a dealer, maybe one of the gun online auctions would be best. A dealer will pay you a low price so he can mark it up alot. At least with an auction with wide exposure, you will probably get much closer to a market retail value for it. And being a nonfunctional antique, none of the hassles of selling a modern gun like ffl's and paperwork etc.

Steven Mace

hivel37, from your pictures it appears as if you have a Remington New Model Pocket Revolver which were made from about 1865-1873 with about 25,000 produced. It's hard to tell from your picture but is the frame brass or steel?

Steve Mace

hivel37

The reference that I have is Fjestad's 29th edition. By reading that, the only difference between the New Model Police Revolver being .36 caliber and the New Model Pocket Model being .31 caliber. I couldn't get a reliable measurement at the bore, because of corrosion. It just occurred that I could get a measurement at the cylinder. A "duh" moment.

The plate on the back of the cylinder is loose. I am not familiar with percussion revolvers, so am not sure if it is a converted model.

The frame is steel.

Last edited:

Steven Mace

remnmpolice2xxx.jpg

Remington New Model Police Revolver

hivel37, the difference between your revolver and the one pictured above, other than caliber, would be the type of trigger. Yours has a spur trigger which was used on the Remington New Model Pocket Revolver and not the Police Revolver. Yours also appears to have been converted to metallic cartridges instead of percussion caps. I would guess the value at around $600-$700. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

hivel37

Thank all of you for your replies. This helps alot in my attempt to rate the condition and value of the revolver.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is the New Model Pocket revolver "conversion." The New Model Police is an entirely different and larger gun and has a trigger guard. The original Pocket Model was a percussion revolver of .31 caliber; the conversion took .32 rimfire.

After rimfire cartridges came into general use, Remington offered the revolver in .32 rimfire with a removable rear cylinder plate (so as not to infringe the Rollin White patent). Those guns were made that way at the factory; they are often called "conversions" but whether the cylinders used were actually percussion cylinders or were new made is in question.

In any case, the gun in the picture appears to be factory made, not a conversion by a gunsmith. The rear plate is normally a bit loose as it is removed for loading.

Loading entails removing the cylinder, then removing the rear plate, loading cartridges into the cylinder, then replacing the rear plate and putting the cylinder back in the gun.

Jim

Tom2

Here is the Italian brass frame replica of the Remington as compared to a typical 19th century 32 rimfire pistol of economical grade. A box of Navy Arms 32 rimfire. I think they were made in shorts and longs, possibly. The replica is a Pietta and Cabelas had carried them, among others. I don't know if anyone is making a conversion cylinder for 32's like they do the bigger Remingtons. But the replica would let you get the feel of shooting at least the cap and ball version of the thing. Probably pretty fun little pop gun in that caliber.

Attachments

• Remington.jpg
    Remington.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 295