Remington or Savage package .308???

Preacherman

Hi there. May I recommend the Savage package? There are several reasons why:

1. The Savage is more accurate out-of-the-box than the Remington, more times than not. I've handled a number of Savages that with normal hunting ammo. would shoot sub-MOA all day long. The Remington's aren't bad, but in the test reports I read for the Model 710, the accuracy seemed to be in the 1½-2 MOA range with normal hunting loads.

2. IIRC, the Remington 710 cannot be fitted with an aftermarket trigger, or have its own trigger adjusted, in the manner of the Model 700. The Savage can accept a number of aftermarket triggers, which greatly improve trigger pull and (consequently) practical accuracy.

3. The Savage package price will probably be cheaper at a gunshop than the Remington (although the latter is available at Wal-Mart, I know, which is cheaper). In a local gun shop, that Savage package is available for less than $350 - why are your local shops more expensive, I wonder?

The scope on the Savage is a 3x9x32 - plenty good enough for everyday use. I don't know what Remington offers on the 710, but I suspect it's pretty similar.

Whichever you choose, good shooting to you!

Bacchus

How about the 700?

A while back, I was contemplating a Rem 710 that was on sale nearby and asked for comments. Most comments were fairly negative and most people suggested getting the Rem 700 instead--lots of aftermarket parts. It should be within the $400 budget you mentioned.

dakotasin

remington 700 adl.

savage is no more, no less accurate than rem. initial dollar per accuracy, savage gets you same accuracy for less money, but the savage will eventually cost you more.

savage stocks are garbage, and will need to be replaced...and decent stocks are not cheap.

brookstexas

AAAAAArrggggghhhhh!

Reading is fundamental, not in 308? I've had so much mail in favor of the Savage I think thats where I'm headed!
Thanks all-
BT

Chief Jones

Brooks,

I've had the Savage .308 package gun for several years & the only change I've made to it is a Choate synthetic stock to replace the mystery-wood factory stock.

Woody