Remington or Mossberg?

TurkeySlayer

I'm in the market for a new all-purpose gun (Turkeys, rabbits, etc...) and want to know what's a better gun for the money. All my family members have Rem. 870's, which I know are great, but how does Mossberg stack up? Also, are the camo versions of the 870 (turkey guns) pricier than the camo 500's?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
While the Mossy is a decent shotgun, nothing beats the 870s record of durability,longevity,and usage under bad conditions.

Since your family has 870s, why not keep commonality of weapon? Same controls, same "Chops", and interchangeability of parts, not that you'll need many spares.

Shin-Tao

I would recomend one over the other, but someone would then accuse me of never having owned either.

Well, it depends on what you want. The 870 will likely last forever, the Mossy is lighter and easy to swing around in close situations.

Chang

I was thinking about the Mossberg 500, but had my daddy buy me the Remington instead. It's better made. Steel receiver is much more durable and the fore-end rattled a lot less. Mossberg 500 does have a good design (I like it a bit more than the Remington design), but the workmanship and materials are simply not as good. I have a FOID card in this state, which allows me to own a long gun (despite being 16 years old) and handle them at stores, so I got to see a whole bunch of stuff before I decided.

The finish on the Mossberg 500 beats the Rem 870 Express finish though. You get a good blue instead of Remington's crackly black finish that they use on the Express series.

If you wanted to use a gun for home defense or as a fighting shotgun, some people would say that Mossberg is better because of the better safety, ease of reloading (Remington's elevator/carrier slaps me in the thumb hard), light weight, etc.

I didn't get my gun with any fighting of any sort in mind (sometimes I think I'm almost pacifist). I wanted a good hunting gun that would be reliable, and so I got the 870.

During the time I was considering the Mossberg 500 (the Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive model with the wood stock, barrel, long vent rib barrel with extra chokes for all sorts of hunting), I asked a friend what he thought of the Mossberg and he said it was a "cheaply made piece of crap." With all the choke tubes and nice finish and wood, all for $200, it seemed like a hell of a deal for a all-around hunting gun, but it is sort of cheaply made (and cheaply priced). Appeals to sort of different customers I guess, some want the best deal, while others want the better gun for a more money.

[Edited by Chang on 01-04-2001 at 08:27 PM]

Redleg

I was about to ask the same question!

Now I don't have to. Great post, Chang. Wish I was that insightful at 16! I guess I'm one that wants more gun for a little more money. I've seen the lower priced Mossy 500's at Wally World and they have definitely cought my eye. However, I'm willing to spend a little more to get the proven reliability and performance of the 870. Now the other question is do I settle for the economy (ugly) Express or go for the Wingmaster with all it's pretty blueing and engraving? Hmmmm...

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Plan C is buying a USED 870, Redleg. There's lots of them out there, wearing out an 870 takes decades and dedication. Parts will be available if needed for a long time.

One nice thing about 870s, they've been around so long that there's a myriad of aftermarket goodies, including custom trigger groups with clean, light but safe pull weights, stocks from fancy Circassian to utility grade recycled motorcycle crates and plastic,extended mags, safeties, choke tubes,recoil reducers, bbl weights, special scope mounts, all the "Tactical" stuff, and on and on and on...

It's a simple matter to take an 870 apart and reassemble with new parts. I'm no mechanic, but I managed to build a kitchen table 870,and it's my bird gun now.