Remington Nylon 66??

P-990

Okay all, talk me into this little rifle. I spotted one last weekend in a LGS and am thinking long and hard about swinging by there tomorrow and nabbing it if it's still there.

If memory serves, it was black and blued, and labeled in excellent condition. It still had a sticker on the stock that I am assuming was from the factory labeling "something" about a lifetime warranty. They were asking $225 on it (and this is NH, so no sales tax; that would be OTD). It piqued my interest because it was one of those "hey, don't see those everyday" things.

Really, I have this urge for something to go plinking with alongside my 10/22. The Nylon and Marlin 60s interest me because of the tubular magazine. Other than that, no real purpose other than to be "neat" or "cool." So let me hear it.

hodaka

Get it!

That is a very good price. Check gunbroker or some other site to see the going rate. I picked up one for that price a couple of years ago. They weigh nothing and are plenty accurate. Everyone has 10/22's. The Remingtons are much more rare.

Big Caliber

Yeah...I got one for Christmas back in the late 60's. It's still my favorite gun. It shoots laser straight with CCI Mini-mags. Kicks like a broken BB gun.:D Never had a jam. It'll go in my coffin along with my boogie board when I kick the bucket.;) Grab it, you'll love it.

Scorch

I got a Nylon 66 when I was 19 years old. It had been sitting in a friend's grandfather's attic for 10-12 years. It looked like it had never ever been cleaned and every neighborhood kid had been running the dirtiest ammo he could find through it. I had to clean it out with carburetor cleaner to break the crud loose inside. But once I got it running, it was pure magic. Not very accurate, but it was light and fast, and I could rip through 10 rounds so fast it sounded like popopopopopopopopopow. Jackrabbits didn't stand a chance out to 100 yds. And then I got the accuracy bug, and the Nylon couldn't hold a candle to a bolt action, so it sat in a closet for 20 years and I finally sold it. Can't say I miss it, but it did have a certain "look" to it.

FALPhil

Not very accurate, but it was light and fast, and I could rip through 10 rounds so fast it sounded like popopopopopopopopopow.

They are plenty accurate. Professional shooter Tom Frye used a Model 66 to hit, in the air, 100,004 hand thrown wooden blocks out of a total of 100,010 thrown.

Where you run into accuracy issues is in two scenarios: (a) trying to shoot it with a sling, and (b) using an optical sight on the dovetail grooves in the stamped receiver. In the first case, the stock is flexible enough that the use of a sling will pull the POI off. In the second case, only about 1 in 10 Model 66s will shoot well with a scope (I happen to have one that will). The receiver/stock interface is not as rigid as it could be.

Great rifles. They are my absolute favorite 22 autoloader.

BIGR

I have a brown with a scope one that I bought back in the 80's (I think). Shot it some and it didn't seem all that accurate but its lite and easy to handle. Have not had it out in about 15 years.

Scorch

They are plenty accurate.
When brand new, they were fairly accurate, generally around 1" at 25 yds. But the way the barrel is mounted leads to rapid wear in the stock and barrel channel and loss of accuracy as the barrel gets loose. I accuracy tested mine with many different types of ammo at a variety of ranges, with and without scopes, and the best I ever got out of it was 3" at 25 yds. Any rifle should shoot better than that.
Professional shooter Tom Frye used a Model 66 to hit, in the air, 100,004 hand thrown wooden blocks out of a total of 100,010 thrown.
Yes, he did. I read his booklet about aerial shooting, very interesting reading. A remarkable feat. He used 50 brand new, hand picked, specially treated rifles. He had an assistant throw the 4" blocks for him and shot them at 20 to 30 feet.

Gunfighter123

GREAT little rifle ---- I got mine { in Apache Black/Chrome} when I was 12 years old ---- that was over 40 years ago and I STILL HAVE IT:D

I have shot HUNDREDS of small game/birds with it as a kid and it will function after a few 1000 of rds. thru it without cleaning !!!!!

As to it being accurate ---- when my eyes were better , it would do head shots on "flying rats" at 50 yards plus ---- and it is still shooting 1" at 50 yards after 40+ years and tens of thousands of rds.

Buzzcook

I remember making fun of the plastic gun when I first saw them. As it turns out I was wrong and they're pretty nice. $225 isn't a bad price at all if it's in good condition.

Bottom Gun

I bought my first Nylon 66 in 1968 and have been shooting them ever since. I have owned a several of the darned things over the years.
I have shot the living daylights out of these and contrary to what others have said, the accuracy hasn't suffered a bit. The two Apache Black rifles I have now are very accurate and very reliable.
Their light weight makes them a pleasure to carry in the field.

If I were you, I would grab that one if it's still available. You won't be sorry.

Sam Harrison

I have one and it is fairly accurate, as is my friend's. The thing to remember about it is the stock is very flexible so if you rest it against anything it will press throw the shot off. Shot freehanded in the right position, it's a very nice rifle. It was frustrating trying to shoot it before I realized what was causing the problem. Mine's always been scoped but the iron sights are pretty good.

Supposedly it's hard to dissasemble, but I've never taken mine apart, so I don't know for sure. It was my first real gun, and I don't think I recall it ever jamming.

About the Marlin 60: I have 2, one with an 18-shot magazine, and one with a 15. They are fine rifles, but a Nylon 66 is probably harder to find.

Big Caliber

My 66 is more than "plenty accurate", 1" out to 100yds. Like any other rifle I was taught to clean it after every outing per my Dad's instructions. After 40+ years nothing has "loosened up" yet and the barrel hasn't worn out due to the cleanings:rolleyes:. Maybe I was just lucky.

P-990

Not to disappoint you all, but I elected not to get the rifle. Through no flaws in the gun; I didn't even get to look it all over.

The shop was supposed to be open 10-6 today. I drove over, cash in hand, about 10:30-10:40. Dang it if it wasn't still closed. This is the 3rd time I've had this "problem" with this shop, and the second time I had my mind set and cash. I've decided my business will NOT be going there, no matter what! :mad: