Remington NMA Full length holster Recommendations

deerslayer303

Hey Guys,
I'm going to have a new holster made for the '58 for carrying it this upcoming hunting season. What do you guys think would be the best design to get, with alot of sitting in mind and being able to draw the thing while seated. Shoulder? Feel free to post pics of your skins. Thanks in advance.

rodwhaincamo

I bought a cross draw holster meant for a NMA that I use for my 7.5" ROA. It's from a company called something like Oklahoma Leather. There's a fellow here who works as a vendor and got it to me along with a belt he made and a leather pouch (also by OL). He dyed them all the same so they'd match. It was all inexpensive, but the leather is quite thick and stiff. Nothing fancy as it's meant for woods use.

DD4lifeusmc is the fellow. Carries a lot of other things too.

noelf2

Yeah a crossdraw style is probably what you are looking for. Bottom one is what I carry with the target model, cross draw, nothing fancy but works great. Got it at a gun show from a holster maker. The top one is a plain old Triple K from Cabela's for the 5 1/2" model. Not a crossdraw but I have no problem drawing from a sitting position with it being a shorter barrel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• remmys.JPG
    remmys.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

DD4lifeusmc

holster

with the 8" barrel nothing really while sitting.

regular mount on hip, the gun will have to rotate forward or back, plus the long barrel makes drawing easily difficult to clear top.
Unless it can hang down over the edge of the chair.

Cross draw a tad easier, but what will be behind you as you sit.
Hard chair back, or cushion? This will tend to push the holster forward.
Unless again it can hang down over side of chair.

Shoulder? Pretty much the same issues especially if the gun is straight up and down long distance pull to clear leather.
And if angled what is behind the muzzle wanting to relocate the intended angle of the hang.

Next would be the across body bandolier style, Most likely the best of the bunch.
But you still have the issue of that long barrel.
But I'd do the bandolier if you will be sitting for a long period.
It would be visible though unless under a zippered jacket or such.

rodwhaincamo

I often set my cross draw holster more in front than on the side kind of on the leg. It basically would sit in your lap when seated.

aarondhgraham

Hello deerslayer303

I used a pair of 1858 Remmies while I was in SASS,,,
One straight and the other crossdraw,,,
Only the straight is shown here.

As rodwhaincamo said, the crossdraw sat in my lap and was very comfortable.

gl-004-44calremington.jpg

I developed the pattern(s) from a picture in Packing Iron.

You said: "I'm going to have a new holster made for the '58 for carrying it this upcoming hunting season."

If you like this holster,,,
PM me your mailing address,,,
I'll trace it and send you a copy of the pattern.

Aarond