Remington New 1911

5R milspec

hey guys what do ya'll think about Remington coming out with a new 1911.will it be just as good as the one they made many years ago or better.

your thoughts will be the buy one or not for me.

Smit

Are you referring to the R1 that came out? If so, it's been available for some time now.

Creeper

Some issues with sights falling off and feeding problems with the first R1 production runs... nothing but good on recent R1 Enhanced reviews.
Besides... with the '5R' user name, it would be sacrilege to not get an R1... right? ;)

Cheers,
C

lamarw

The Remington R1 is made by Remington Arms, but the Remington Rand of old in the form of the Remington Rand M1911A1 made for the military was made by the old type writer company which was not Remington Arms.

Remington Arms - Union Metalic Cartridge Co. did have a contract back in 1918 and 1919 for M1911's for the Military and delivered 21,676 pistols to the Government at or just after the end of WW1. There is a long story about this production and the production difficulties, and I will not get into it.

I own a Remington R1 and the sights are not falling off it (LOL), and I consider it a good pistol for the price range. They now produce several variations to include a Stainless Steel version. A new pistol purchase from Remington comes with a life time warranty, and the buyer receives the Platinum Plan from Remington. You can go to the Remington Arms web site for more info. on both.

My opinion is the new Remington R1 and most newer commercial 1911's are far superior in quality to the old military pistols. No slam on the old hand guns, but it is just a matter of technology including steels and production capabilities. The Remington R1 and also the Ruger 1911 are both produced and assembled in the gool ole USA.

The Remington R1 reminds one more of the M1911 military pistol. Here is a picture of my R1 next to the military Colt M1911 of 1918 vintage:

Attachments

• Comparrison.jpg
    Comparrison.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 47
5R milspec said:
hey guys what do ya'll think about Remington coming out with a new 1911.will it be just as good as the one they made many years ago or better.
Who is "they"? The 1911 that was made by a company distantly related to the current Remington Arms was some WW1 M1911s made by Remington UMC in their factory in Bridgeport, Connecticut, which has now been mostly (if not completely) demolished after being abandoned for many years. The WW2 M1911A1s that were "Remingtons" were made by Remington-Rand, a typewriter company.

The WW1 Remingtons were made to precise Ordnance Department specifications and tolerances and were inspected by Ordnance Department inspectors before acceptance. Are the current Remington 1911s as good as those? Not a prayer.

lamarw

Aquilla, With all due respect, you and I disagree on how the new Remingtons, Colts, Rugers and most of the other solid name 1911's compare in quality and durability with their WWI era and even WWII era counterparts. :(

I suspect we agree on the collector value for good examples and respect we share for the old pistols. :)

Adamantium

...and were inspected by Ordnance Department inspectors before acceptance. Are the current Remington 1911s as good as those? Not a prayer.

This is least relevant thing that has been said so far.

5R milspec

OK I did not in any way want to start a ******* contest.

yes,with the call name of 5R milspec shows my love for Remington.I have owned a Remington for many years now.From 1100's in both 20g and 12g to the Rem700.The only thing I hate about a Remington rifel is the new trigger.:(

for me I too will own a new 1911 R1.it will add a really nice look to my three 5R's when placed together.:D BUT time will only tell to when that day comes.

I thank ya'll for posting for I have had an eye on a great 1911 for some time now.Back in 1983-4 my dad had bought a true 1911 I think an ( IJ or Ithaca not sure )but I know to how clean it was.He didn't hold onto it for long for he wasn't a 45ACP kind of guy.Now when I bring it up he just ask for me to shut up.:mad: I own an EMP in 9mm and my eye was on a Springfield 1911 now that I see Remington is back into making them I'd rather have a Remmy.

OK are there anymore thoughts on the Remington 1911R1.The more good things I hear the more I will want one.:D