Remington Navy "5-shooter"

Oquirrh

Yikes. One of my nipples in my Pietta .36 cal. 1858 blew out of the cylinder.

It lodged in the hammer slot and left a couple small burrs that I had to file out before the gun would operate.

I guess I've got a five shooter (not terrible since it's a good idea to keep a cylinder empty.) Are Uberti nipples a bigger thread? I've got an uberti sized tap and could tap it to that size.

By the way, when i thread the nipple back in, it feels tight, but apparently not tight enough.

UPDATE: I see i can get a new cylinder from cabelas for $40.

Last edited:

madcratebuilder

If you have material to cut to a larger thread, that would be the cheap fix, a new cylinder would be the easy fix, but if you have the tools and are handy, go for it.

mykeal

Pietta nipple threads are the metric M6x0.75, which is a thread MD of 0.236" and 33.9 tpi.

Uberti uses two different nipple threads; the large frame horse pistols have 1/4x28 (thread MD 0.250") and the medium frame revolvers use 12x28 (thread MD of 0.216"). While the 1/4x28 is larger, drilling and tapping the M6 hole will result in incomplete threads - the major diameter will be right but the minor diameter (thread depth) will be too shallow, so the threads will not be complete depth. That could result in weak thread engagement.

Last edited:

Oquirrh

Thanks, particularly to Mykeal, I think I'll just keep it a five-shooter and look into another cylinder. I've shot it A LOT so I don't think anything else is going to bust loose. For a walk-around gun, I prefert an empty cylinder to let the trigger down, even if the Remmys have those nice notches.

Cabella's says they have .36 cylinders but I haven't talked to them to find out what the turnaround time would be.

It's not like I'm planning on storming Harpers Ferry or anything.