Remington Model 81

roy reali

I was at one of our local gun shops today. They had a Remington Model 81 in .35 Remington. The gun was in near mint condition. Anyone have experience with this gun and/or cartridge?

bamaranger

Rem '81's and .35 Rem

I have never owned a Rem 81 or an 8 which was its predecessor, but have read good things about them. They were cutting edge in their day, and many law enforcment types bought and used 'em. I read an account where a whole goup of Tex rangers adjourned a formal meeting, and each bought one, when an officer showed up w/ the first one they'd ever seen (model 8).

The .35 rem was considered "grim death" in the 60's and 70's in my family, and was chambered in remington M14 and `141 pumps. I grew up believing it was a death ray. They all shot W-W 200 gr Silvertips. I never had one and am still looking. Rem has realized some recent pumps in the caliber, and Marlin still chambers their levergun it it (I think). I also think the cartridge is older than the 30'06, by one year, having been introduced in 1905, but nobady was celebrating, (except my grandads and great uncle's in that great deer camp in the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BusGunner007

I just returned a book to the library that was about the Model 8 & 81.
It showed a picture of John Moses Browning HIMSELF with a Model 8 in .35 Remington and stated it was HIS favorite...:eek::D

If you found one --- BUY IT.
:D

Ronbo1

35 Rem

Years ago I had a Remington Model 8 in 35 Rem. Never had a rifle that had more moving machined parts to it. If they made the model 8 or 81 today they would have to priced high. There is a recoil spring over the barrel that is covered with a sheet metal shroud and the recoil is stout, mine had a metal buttplate. They are kind of nostaligic looking but don't expect them to group into 1 inch at 100.

gyvel

You found one of the only two viable Model 81s left: The .35 Remington. The other is the .300 Savage.

I have owned a couple in .300 Savage and I can tell you that firing one is about the equivalent of firing a Browning A-5 with high brass. It is a recoil operated gun and the physical resemblance to the A-5 is not coincidental.

impalacustom

I have a Model 8, circa 1908, chambered in 35 Remington and still hunt with it. It is a great cartridge to about 200yds then it drops off and being a Model 8 it isn't exactly highly accurate. Expect about a 3" group at 100yds from the 8/81. The 35 has killed everything in North America and a few things in South Africa. Bill Hillis shot many Brown, Kodiak and Grizzly bear with his.

DO NOT shoot Hornady's Leverevolution through an 8/81, as it is a bit hot for these guns.

There were a few improvements on the 81 over the 8 as well, depending on the year the forearm had a wide beavertail on the 81 also.

Are there any extra holes on the receiver from scope or iron sight mounts? If it is in really good condition and all original they run from about $400-$600 depending on sights.

The book with JMB also has a picture of his brother and someone else with an elk they shot just near Jackson Hole WY in 1910.

Last edited:

bamaranger

bonnie and clyde

There was one and maybe 2 Model 8's at the Bonnie and Clyde ambush.
Ranger HAMER (?) had one, and there's accounts he gave one to another team member. HAMER's was allegedly .30 Rem, not sure on the other, possibly .35)
I have seen .30 Rem cartridges with FMJ bullets (original packaging) and wondered why until I read of their use by LEO's (likely against 30's era auto bandits)

gyvel

The guns were popular with prison guards as well, once upon a time, and ten round magazines were available for the 8. (Not sure about the 81s.)

DanB

I have a buddy in Dallas that collects these. He and his dad probably have 30-40 between the two of them.

He recently picked up an 81 for a parts gun. Turned it into a sweet project. Sent it off to a guy to have the barrel and shroud cut down to carbine length. Since it was a parts gun he wasn't concerned with it not cycling after it was cut down(loose to much barrel weight and the gun won't cycle). Got it back refinished and took it out. 100% flawless functioning.

He was more excited about that than purchasing his new Vinci last month.

From what I gathered the 8/81 series are great rifles. They are more a niche rifle. Not something that everyone wants in their collection, but still cool none the less.

impalacustom

Gyvel, at one time you could purchase 5, 15 and 20 round magazines for these rifles, 8 and 81. At one time the 81 was being looked at by the FBI but had a few issues and they passed on it. The police models are very expensive and very hard to come by, as are the FBI models.

Hamer had a 35 caliber model 8 as well. Remington even gave him one that was all engraved and if I remember right is on display at the Texas Ranger Museum.

They are a niche rifle, not something many would use today, parts are very hard to find but not usually needed and they kick very hard, especially the ones with the curved steel recoil butt plate.

impalacustom

Slope, here is a pic of a Model 8 with a cut down barrel to 17" from 22". It saved a little over half a pound and lost 100fps velocity.

The last pictures are of a Model 81 someone cut down as well.

Attachments

• carbineassembly.jpg
    carbineassembly.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 60
  • m8woodall-verschneidercarbinevsm1ca.jpg
    m8woodall-verschneidercarbinevsm1ca.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 55