Remington Model 34

markm_04

I recently inherited a Remington Model 34 bolt action .22 from my grandfather who passed away not too long ago.

Long story short, my grandfather was a tinkerer, and I am in need of a new stock for this rifle. The stock is completely broken in half right above the trigger. I have looked at Boyds Gun Stocks and they do make them. It would cost $92 to my door. My question is how much work is required to get the stock completely finished if I were to order one? On their website it says that some sanding and finishing is required, just not sure how much?

I know this is not a real valuable gun but the way it sits right now it is only scrap. I want to keep it and I would like to get it back to working condition. Also it is missing the front screw from the trigger guard. The search is on for that screw in the closet where the gun was stored, but does anyone know of anywhere to get parts for this gun? I am assuming my best bet is to find another beat up gun as they are not made anymore and are not a real popular model?

Smokey Joe

Fixing up an oldie...

Markum 04--For the screw, if you can't find it in the closet, the go-to place for old gun parts is Numrich Arms. If it's just an ordinary machine screw, as opposed to a special-made part, Brownell's sells a kit containing a wide variety of standard gun-use machine screws, which can be a Godsend at the range. Midway may have the same kit.

For a Boyd's stock, they do a good job on the inletting--you wouldn't have much adjusting to do there. (The adjusting is done with a small file, or a scraper, or sandpaper wrapped around a stick or some such--CAREFULLY!!) Sounds like you are considering a Boyd's "unfinished" stock--They come inletted and shaped on the outside--You have to put in the time sanding the outside and varnishing. BUT--The unfinished Boyd's is also a great thing to glass-bed at the same time. Boyd's sells the finishing kits, and also sells bedding kits.

However, on the Boyd's stock I did, I got an Acra-Glas kit from Midway for cheaper than from Boyd's, and obtained my sandpaper and ordinary spray-can satin spar varnish locally. The result came out looking pretty decent, and nice and accurate if I do say so myself.

The Boyd's telephone people are used to talking a newbie through difficulties. Good company to do business with, IMHO!

Last edited: