Remington Model 11

Txhillbilly

I bought a 12ga Model 11 Remington that I cannot figure out why I can only load 1 shell into the magazine tube. I have completely disassembled the tube, shell stop,spring,plug,etc.. With it completely empty of parts I put 4 shells in from the top,with the 1st shell going all the way to the receiver stop. Then tipped the gun forward in 3 of the shells come out,but I cannot push the 1st shell forward into the mag tube. What is keeping the shell from going forward?
I cannot see anything that would stop this from happening but I can only put 1 shell in the magazine tube. Is there a stop built into the receiver before the magazine tube? The gun has been completely refinished and is original as the serial#'s on the buttstock under the lower tang match the serial#'s on the receiver. This has just got me puzzled. The gun was mfg in 1914,serial# 17xxx

James K

Member In Memoriam
The magazine follower fits the tube tighter than shells do. It sounds like the tube is dented at a point 3" or so from the receiver so that the follower is stopping at that point. When you load from the front without the follower, the shells can drop down from their own weight, but the last hangs when you try to get it out.

Most gunsmiths have dent removers that can be used on both barrels and magazine tubes.

Jim

Txhillbilly

Thanks Jim,but the tube is not bent or dented that I can see. The follower will drop right down the tube,it is like something is stopping the shell brass outer rim before it enters the mag tube. I cannot see anything,I have looked inside the tube with a light and can't see anything on the receiver side either. I give up,and will take it to my gunsmith and see what he says. I can push the follower up inside the tube deep enough by hand but the shell won't go in. But I can put shells in from the other end and they go all the way to the receiver,but then the 1st shell cannot be pushed back into the magazine tube.