Remington Model 11 16 ga

ligonierbill

Just picked up a nice example. Question for those familiar with this shotgun. The shells I have are either 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 dram equivalent. Before I take a trial and error approach, is it necessary to set the ring for light loads for the 2 1/2? That's what I'll be shooting most, as the barrel is IC, and I mean to shoot grouse and quail with this gun.

PetahW

When in doubt about any long-recoil shotgun, ALWAYS shoot whatever ammo with the friction/governor ring set for stout loads, to ensure nil damage to the gun.

If the gun cycles your ammo on that setting, you're good to go - if not, only then use the "low setting".

ligonierbill

Thanks. Kind of figured I'd start with the brakes on. If it doesn't cycle, it only takes a couple minutes to move the ring.

joe45c

Yea, that's what I like about my A-5, No gas ports to clean. Just put a little oil on the mag tube, and it keeps shooting till I run out of ammo. Like others have said just set your friction ring for the heavy setting 1st, and if it cycles leave it there.

ligonierbill

Not so bad. This is my first experience with this action, and I had a moment wondering where the heck the gas port was! I grew up with 16 ga, but at the time I couldn't afford a gun like this. I have been looking for a Browning "Sweet 16" A5 for some time, but the ones I have seen were not in as good shape as this Remington, and they command a premium price. John Browning's design, and a very elegant gun. Now I just need to find some grouse. They seem to have disappeared from my old western Pennsylvania stomping grounds.

joe45c

ligonierbill, we have the same problem in northern NY. not many grouse around. This year we have had so many sleet storms I think they got frozen in under the snow. so I have been just shooting clays with my sweet 16.