Remington model 10?

guruatbol

I have a Remington pump with a riot barrel and full choke. The shell eject is in the bottom of the weapon. It has a single bead on the end of the barrel.

I was told by the seller years ago that is was used as a bank security weapon in the 20s. I would like to find a web site where I might be able to find some info and maybe pics. I have searched for a while and have found pics, but always with a hunting barrel. I think it may be a model 10, but not sure.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. I would like to know the value as well. It is not something I am interested in keeping around and I need the safe real estate.

Mel:cool:

Scattergun Bob

Mel

Model 10's are wonderful shotguns. And yes most were of the sporting variety.

The model 10 served with distinction in WW-1 along side the 1897 and model 12 Winchesters. About 1,500 showed up in the war years. Most were "trench brooms" with ventilated handguard and bayonet attachments. After the war most were converted into riot guns by removing the vented handguard and bayonet attachment, sold off surplus after the war to police departments and state agencies for about $5:D. I picked mine up surplus from my state agency and it has a place of honor among my fighting scatterguns. Left-overs were pressed into service during the begining of WW II but soon replaced with the M-37 and M-12.

Were the guns effective? A communication was sent to the United States government by the German Army on September 30, 1918 concerning run-ins with the 3rd Infantry Regiment of the 5th American Division, armed with about 200 m-10 and m-12 shotguns "It is pointed out to the Government of the United States that a prisoner on whom a shotgun or shotgun ammunition is found shall forfeit his life" guess they didn't like the business end of our re'peating scatterguns :).

You can get quite a history of the model 10 in "the complete guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns" by Bruce Canfield, I am a little partial to the book because yours truly shows up in it:cool:.

Here is a sight that gives you the bare bones of the gun.

http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/shotguns/model_10.asp

Hope that helps, you have a fine old scattergun there!

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited:

guruatbol

That does help. I was at the Cody museum in Cody, WY a few times this last summer, and thought for sure there would be one there....Guess what? There is a sporting model, but no short barrel models.

Anyway this is the most info I have been able to get in 10 years of ownership...Thanks.

I may just display it with all the rest of my military history....

Mel:cool:

Scattergun Bob

Mel

Glad I could be of some help.

In passing our Model 10s continue life until 1933 as the Model 17 and then the Model-29 "super model 10s as it were"

I have looked for a m-17 Riot gun to add to my collection, they are very rare, and m-29s are like hens teeth:). I would send most of my 870 police models to the block if I could find a good m-17R!

Most folks think that the 870 is the start of Remington's slide action shotgun history, LITTLE do they know:).

Good Luck & Be Safe

guruatbol

More info, I just cleaned up my safe today and wiped everything down and my Model 10 is a 10-A and has a U on the underside front of the receiver.

Does this mean anything?

Mel :cool:

Scattergun Bob

Mel

All serial numbers (001 – 275,600) were preceded by the letter "U" so that seems OK.

10 A = Standard or Field Grade, so sometime in its history someone replaced or shortened the barrel. It still is a great scattergun!

Good Luck & Be Safe

Fletch Fletcher

M17R

Hey Scattergun, you mentioned the model 17 Riot gun is very rare. How rare? I've believe I have one (model 17 w/20" barrel), and I'm out searching the Internet trying to find out some info. I sent the serial number to Remington yesterday in hopes they tell me the year of manufacture. Any info you could give me on this gun would be great!

Scattergun Bob

Fletch Fletcher

TRUE M-17 R scatterguns in excellent condition are VERY rare. I have only seen 2, both are questionable as to their true identity.

I would think if you can find a TRUE M-17R in 95% condition with good original wood, a $1800 to $2,500 price tag is about right.

Good Luck & Be Safe