Remington going under?

USNRet93

Called my LGS asking about a RM380..gent said probably can’t get one as Remington $1.5billion in debt and about to go under. Anybody else hear this?

DPris

Member Emeritus
Moving full speed ahead.
A sale is pending, but in the meantime Remington & Marlin are both out from under the Cerberus "Cheaper Is Better" manufacturing yoke, money is being spent on product quality upgrades, and the company is far from going under.
Denis

USNRet93

Thanks..too bad a LGS has some beef about Remington and does their best at 'business reduction policies'...

jmr40

Remington has been circling the drain for years. There have been several attempts that have kept them from going completely under in recent years and this is another temporary reprieve. I still don't have long term confidence in the company.

They have long term commitments via court order to repair millions of defective guns. That adds up to billions of dollars just to correct past mistakes. It is hard to come up with new and innovative quality products in the future with that hanging around your neck.

buck460XVR

Called my LGS asking about a RM380..gent said probably can’t get one as Remington $1.5billion in debt and about to go under. Anybody else hear this?

So..........did said "gent" even attempt to find one for you? Or was he just trying to sell you something they already had? Remington's name is always going to be worth something to someone. It may never be the driving force in the firearms industry it once was, but in some shape or form, it will be around for a while yet.

USNRet93

No..He looked, owner looked, thought they had one, 'in the back'..no..I then asked if they could order one and then the guy said the 'probably can't even get one' stuff..followed by mentioning YUGE amount of debt that Remington has..He didn't seem keen on even trying..this was over the phone, BTW..I called and asked about the Remington..this place has a GREAT range but kinda stuffy LGS side..hardly ever less than MSRP..like $499 for Glock 43, type stuff...

LineStretcher

No..He looked, owner looked, thought they had one, 'in the back'..no..I then asked if they could order one and then the guy said the 'probably can't even get one' stuff..followed by mentioning YUGE amount of debt that Remington has..He didn't seem keen on even trying..this was over the phone, BTW..I called and asked about the Remington..this place has a GREAT range but kinda stuffy LGS side..hardly ever less than MSRP..like $499 for Glock 43, type stuff...
Find another place to buy your rifle. Remington is now running under the "Freedom Group". Their bankruptcy business plan was overwhelmingly accepted by the courts. They have re-tooled and are now once again producing top quality consumer products. There are still some back room guns out there that you probably want to steer clear of so I would order only current production models. Their Marlin rifles are also back up to excellent quality again. I just bought one and it's top notch all the way.

MoMan

Sounds to me like a guy who didn't have what you were looking for, and wanted to "dump" you into something he had in stock. The fact that he decided to try to "trash talk" you out of the gun you were looking for, rather than trying to locate 1 for you, should really tell you all you need to know about him.

If it were me, I would find another place to spend my hard earned money!

LineStretcher

Just buy from one of the online gun sale options.
You have to be careful doing that. It may be that someone is trying to clear a bunch of old back stock.

If I can't find it locally, I go through Sportsman's Warehouse. They seem to have current items in stock. If you're active duty, retired or a Veteran and live within 50 miles of a store then go in and order it and get your discount. You can't get it if you order online. I think I got 10% off on my last rifle.

dogtown tom

USNRet93 Called my LGS asking about a RM380..gent said probably can’t get one as Remington $1.5billion in debt and about to go under. Anybody else hear this?
Lazy dealer.
Tell him RSR has around 70 in stock as of right now.

tlm225

Your shop didn't try very hard. In less that two minutes of checking, Grabagun, Buds gun shop, and Kentucky Gun Co. all show to have various versions of the RM380 in stock. I guess Remington is still in production or as it has been said, the report of their demise is greatly exaggerated.

Mike38

Was Remington on a downward spiral before or after the 2007 purchase by Freedom Group? In other words, is Freedom Group the cause of Remington's failure? Isn't Freedom Group nothing but a bunch of investors that couldn't tell you the difference between Model 1858 revolver and a 1911-R1?

DPris

Member Emeritus
Remington was acquired by Cerberus years ago, and the Cerberus operation was only interested in maximizing profits, not quality.

Cerberus is now out of the picture.
The company, along with Marlin, is now in the hands of the creditors pending a sale, but they're out of the bankruptcy.

The current people now running Remington ARE making changes, but it's happening slowly.

It takes time for a trickle-down effect from the top in replacing the old "make it cheaper" with "make it better".

When engineering & manufacturing processes have so long been centered around "cheap", there's some lag time involved in changing all that.

In one case last year, Marlin spent a hundred grand on one new piece of machinery to address ONE area of levergun manufacture.

Money isn't just being drained now, it's going back into both companies.
If whoever buys the conglomerate allows this to continue, you should be seeing a gradual & general upgrade in overall quality.

My info comes from a friend there, a senior product manager.
Denis

USNRet93

Just buy from one of the online gun sale options.
Like to buy locally if I can, even if some few $ more. Often online ship and FFL
Transfer $ equals local tax and BGC...but no mas at this place...have a LGS that’s really close but small inventory...