Remington and Corbon .45 ammo

Love&Hate12

I have been researching self-defense ammunition quite a bit lately and from tests and asking around I have found that Remington probably the best loads for the .45 acp, and the second best in my opinion is the new Corbon with the Barnes bullet.

I am a fan of the .40 because of the 9mm speed it produces and the heavier weight it has in comparison to the 9mm.

Normal .40 loads would be 950-1000 fps in the 180 gr. and 1100 - 1200 fps in the 150 - 165 gr. level.

Remington has in the Golden Saber line an advertised fps rating for the following grain weights in the +p:

185 - 1150 fps

200 - 1050

and a 230 grain +p that somehow is 1060fps as advertised.

This is some heavy weight for those speeds and I recently got to see ammo testing in action and the Remington 185 gr+p made a hellacious wound channel in comparison to average handgun loads and retained all of its weight.... So you figure a few of those to the frontal mass area of an attacker is going to most likely put him down right away.

The Corbon dpx line 185 gr. did even better in the test I witnessed and it almost yawed a little bit, the expanded round that they pulled from it looked more damaging than an expanded black talon even, so this load is also a hell of a round in terms of mainstream production. It did however make more muzzleflash than the Golden Saber which I consider a slight drawback.

The .45's mentioned above did slightly more damage to clothed and bare media than my favorite in the .40 in both 180gr and 165 gr, which I didn't expect. I guess the fat .45 still lives up too it's reputation:D

I thought I would share my observation and experience.

I definitley need to look forward to that new XD with the 14+1 capacity.

BobK

Either load would be fine. However only if the Golden Saber is the bonded version. I prefer Corbon DPX. I don't know why you got so much muzzle flash. Muzzle flash in low light from my Kimber is almost nil. Besides, you won't notice muzzle flash in a self defense situation. Also, the 185 +P DPX is very pleasant to shoot. Corbon found the right combination of weight and velocity for this round to perform.