Remington Accuracy

warbirdlover

As some of you know a couple months ago I bought a new Remington SPS Buckmasters .270 Winchester. Got the scope on it and bore sighted and FINALLY shot it today.

I must say that the new X-Mark Pro trigger set at 3-1/2 lbs. is one of the best triggers I've ever pulled. It took me about 5-6 shots to get the impact where I wanted it and then shot my 3-shot group. The barrel was HOT!! I had the Mueller 4-16 X 50AO scope set at 16 power and only screwed up one of the three shots. I was shooting factory Hornady Custom 130 gr ammo.

I still ended up with a 3/4" group at 100 yards. If I had a cool barrel I think I could have had a cloverleaf. Easily.

Now I am extremely pleased. All I've read in here is how Remington's quality is horrible and their new trigger is worse then the old and on and on. I'll tell you what. This is one fine shooting rifle. And for $599 with a $40 rebate. I doubt a Savage could beat this.

Attachments

• DSC00193apr.jpg
    DSC00193apr.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00217.JPG
    DSC00217.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 158

jmr40

There are a lot of people who are critical of newer Remingtons, but my experiences have mirrored yours. Overall I prefer the Winchester design, but can find no real fault with any Remington. I'd say your results are quite typical.

all the Remingtons i have ever been around have been a darn nice rifle. Ive killed a few deer and elk with a 700 CDl in 25-06 that my dad got 5 years ago or so. That thing is an absolute tack driver with an excellent trigger.

BIG P

Thats a nice lookin rig.I've used Remmys for about 30 years I'm not a paper cutter.But my freezer is filled every year with the help from my 700BDL & 7600 270 REMINGTON.Have taken deer outside 400yds.& 1 hog over 700yds with the 700,300 mag so I dont any problems with the 700's accuracy. :D

Palmetto-Pride

Concrats on your new rig. I am not trying to rain on your parade, but a three shot group doesnt really reflect the true accuracy, three shots could be a little luck involved, but five shot groups tell the true potential.

warbirdlover

I understand about the five-shot proving more then the three-shot groups. I shot the 3 shot because the barrel was already really hot and I really only wanted to zero it in. I shoot a few shots before deer hunting to foul it slightly so I don't get any flyers on the first shot so I'll try a five shot then with a cold barrel.

bassfishindoc

I too have had great luck with my Remington SPS Varmint in 223. About the only thing I don't like about the rifle is the bolt handle. It is just too small and I always seem to hit my thumb on my scope when I lift the bolt if I am not careful. That is an easy fix however and otherwise the rifle is fantastic!

arizona98tj

I shot the 3 shot because the barrel was already really hot and I really only wanted to zero it in.

Seems odd.....setting your zero when you already knew the barrel was really hot, as you stated. Since this seems to be your hunting rifle, setting zero when the bore is cold would make more sense given that is how your first shot at the deer is going to occur.

M.O.A.

yes nice package all the remys i have had were good shooters. but the savages ive been shooting will shoot rings around the remys. but there both real good guns. good luck with your new toy.

MOshooter65202

I agree that's a good lookin' rifle :cool:.
Remingtons are known for their out of the box accuracy.
FWIW First centerfire rifle I shot was a Remington 721 .280 Dads rifle 36 years ago,I have been more than happy with Remingtons accuracy and reliability.
I have a few 700's and they are all very accurate rifles 7mm rem mag,7mm-08 Rem, 6mm Rem,and a 22-250 Rem.,my 7mm rem mag has made lots of kills in the 300-500 yard range
Dads Remington 721 still shoots a one hole 3 shot group at 100 yrds completely stock and purchased new in the early 60's or late 50's?

jmr40

3 shot groups are perfectly fine for a hunting rifle. Not gonna get more than 2 shots 99% of the time anyway.

What matters is consistency. If I shoot 5 strings of 3 shots that tells me just as much as 3 strings of 5 shots.

hooligan1

Jmr40, it's a shooters trick, the less amount of ammo fired the tighter the group!!! I'm actually the best "oneshot grouper in the country":p:D. My kids call me dad.:rolleyes:;):eek: Warbird nice rifle man! with a little persuation, you can coax some tighter groups from that rifle dude!:)

warbirdlover

Seems odd.....setting your zero when you already knew the barrel was really hot, as you stated. Since this seems to be your hunting rifle, setting zero when the bore is cold would make more sense given that is how your first shot at the deer is going to occur.

You are correct. I'll be shooting it again with a cold barrel to fine tune it before hunting with it.

Jmr40, it's a shooters trick, the less amount of ammo fired the tighter the group!!! I'm actually the best "oneshot grouper in the country". My kids call me dad. Warbird nice rifle man! with a little persuation, you can coax some tighter groups from that rifle dude!

With the hot barrel and me not shooting my best form I KNOW I'm gonna coax some mighty small groups out of this thing!! :D

roc1

My XCR 270 will shoot anything decent. I have shot 3 shots in nearly same hole with handloads. I think 3 shots is plenty on a sporter barrel they get hot and start to string after a little bit. I shoot 5 shots on bull barrels not sporters.
roc1

WyoShooter

Nice set up you got there. Always good to see those sub MOA groups.

I'm kind of partial to Remington bolt guns. I like all my Remy 700's and never had any problems with the triggers on my older models...ever. Never had any troubles with any of them period.
I like the new triggers but don't like where they postioned the adjusting screw. Gets in the way of my finger.
I just bought a SPS Tactical in .308 last month and love it. Paid $570 out the door and Sportsman's Warehouse gave me a 5% veteran's in store discount. For that price I was able to buy some other goodies for it. Three weeks later they were selling 700 SPS Varmint's for $449.
All my older 700's shoot sub MOA at 100 yards and I'm getting 1" groups at 200 yards with my new .308 and factory ammo. I am pleased.

Happy shooting

SPSTACTICAL308001.jpg

churchillman

Nice to

see remington is back in the game....they historically made fine firearms but like SO many American companies they sat on their Laurels and were surpassed by most other reputable rifle manufacturers(CZ,savage,Sako,Tikka,weatherby.etc)....they HAD to upgrade their line lest they go the way of Winchester and Olin Arms.......But beware their domestic guns cseem OK but I checked out one of their "imports" from east europe and the bore was at least 1 mm off center ........not sure of model #

MOshooter65202

Churchillman Have you ever heard if you have nothing good to say don't say nothing!!!!...Jerks like you like to rain on some new gun owner parade, who is very proud of their gun choice they worked hard for and put hard earned money down...Shame on you!!!

I'll put my 700's up against any rifle!!

ndking1126

Nice groups! Glad you like your gun.

I would guess very few people would argue that Remington can still make good guns. Whats in question is them not catching the lemons and then a general lack of wanting to work with customers that get the bad ones.

Its my observation is that most complaints come from the lower end rifles, usually some varaint of the SPS. You will next to never hear about CDLs or Senderos having problems. They shoot great.