Remington 870 question

bspillman

Hello all. I recently picked up an very nice 870 12 gauge used. On the barrel it says 3 1/2 cinch shells with magnum receiver only. How do I know if I have a magnum receiver? The receiver only reads “Remington 870” then has the serial number on it. Thanks in advance.

Screwball

If the serial number ends in M, it is a 3” receiver. If it ends in A, it is a 3.5” receiver.

You can put a 3.5” barrel on a 3” receiver... but will only be able to function with 3” shells.

Sharkbite

And remember the 3” (or 3.5”) length is based on the FIRED (unfolded crimp) length. So, you can fit a 3”shell in a 2.75” chamber and it will fire. But there is no space for the crimp to unfold into. The result is increased and unsafe chamber pressure

Im not sure about the interaction with a 3.5” shell in a 3” chamber. It might not chamber at all. Even if it does, it is not safe to fire.

Virginian

Ah, the new numbering system tells you NOTHING other than it is a Remington Shotgun - RS. All Supermagnum 3-1/2" receivers are supposed to say that on the receiver, but I wouldn't trust that. Get a FIRED 3-1/2" hull with an unfolded crimp, and put it in the chamber and see if it will eject. If it will you have a Supermagnum receiver. The Supermagnum receiver is different than the 2-3/4" and 3" receivers, but the barrels will interchange.
My bet is you have a regular 3" Magnum receiver, but NOT a 3-1/2" Supermagnum receiver.