Remington 870 custom steel trigger group.

30-30remchester

Does anyone know if anyone is offering a custom steel trigger group for the Remington 870? IIRC someone offered such an item a number of years ago. Does anyone remember who the manufactuer was of these old trigger groups?

zippy13

Timney Triggers used to make a popular replacement trigger group for the Remington 870. Last year they added a new product "Timney Trigger Fix" for the 870 and seem to have removed the complete trigger group from their catalog.

detail_48_The-870-Trigger-Fix-Cutout.jpg

Slopemeno

I worked at a shop where we certified about 120 ea Remington 870's for duty for a local PD each year- I never saw a broken trigger guard on one ever. Now, these were *real* 870's purchased back in the 80's- there's no telling what they make the Express trigger guards from these days.

Dfariswheel

The Remington 870 trigger group was always powdered compressed aluminum or later, plastic on the Express line.
Compressed aluminum is used on the Wingmaster and Police model.
Remington never offered a steel trigger guard unit for the 870.

There was a company that made a steel trigger guard unit with fully adjustable triggers. These were made for Remington shotguns and rifles.
The company has been out of business for some years now.

As far as I know, they were the only company to offer an actual trigger guard in steel.

jmr40

The new plastic triggerguard will prove to be more rugged and relible than the aluminum that has been used in the past.

If I were buying an expensive double that came with a plastic or aluminum triggerguard I'd be disappointed. The 870, even the Wingmaster, is a working gun and I feel the less expensive options are quite acceptable.

30-30remchester

I prefer milled steel to mystery metal. While the police department used the mystery metal trigger groups without breakage doesnt mean alot to me. My son in law is a police officer for 11 years now and has only removed his shotgun @1 time a year. Also most police work seldom requires require rough duty. I was a big game guide for 9 years in the rugged boulder strewn mountains of Colorado. Many times the boulder fields were covered with snow. With these conditions I saw many damaged rifles, broken scopes and stocks. I have witnessed 2 different mystery metal triggerguards broken in a fall. I have also seen 1 such broken triggerguard in a gunsmiths shop waiting for repair. While the plastic and powdered metal trigger groups will work well for most situations, I was just wondering if the company that built steel groups still offered them.

Dfariswheel

Like I said, I think the company went out of business some years ago.

What they were was a Match grade, fully adjustable trigger unit for people who were shooting slugs for high level long range accuracy.
They also made them for the Remington rifles that used the same basic trigger unit.

As far as I know, these were the only actual steel trigger guard units ever made for the Remington 870.

The plastic units do seem to take heavy blows better. While the aluminum guards will break, the plastic bends, flexes, and tends to return to shape enough that the gun will still work.

30-30remchester

Thanks DFARISWHEEL, I appreciate your input. I didnt want this thread to get into a boxing match. I dont particularly care for the 870 myself and dont own one, I am a Winchester model 12 man myself, but I was sure I had seen in the past a milled steel trigger group for the 870 and 1100 Remingtons. I was thinking about aquiring such a triggergroup and keep it in my special hiding place just incase I ever buy one of these models. I wasnt saying, in this thread, that a milled steel group was better than a mystery metal or plastic group. Its near impossible to convince an unwilling idividual to change his preferences ( and Im one of the worst ). I know there are some tough plastics out there these days but I dont do plastic. That just what and who I am. If you ever remember the manufactuer of the steel groups drop me a PM please.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Allan Timney made steel units for the 870, oft with release triggers for trap shooters.

IIRC, Lightfield slugs has some business relationship with folks who made another all steel unit,but I believe they went under a while back.