Remington 798 Groups

ZeroJunk

I bought a beat up Remington 7MM Mag 798. Cleaned the barrel good, took the creep out of the trigger, put a Burris 3X9 Fullfield II and went to shoot. The first 3 shot group was with 140 grain Remington Core Lokt factory loads. About 1 1/2 inches about an inch to the left. OK with me. So, I moved the scope four clicks and shot a three shot goup with 150 grains Federals. Not do good. I walked back to the bench and fired threee more shots. Still not so good. Well, thinking that the barrel heating up might be causing this I went back and shot another three shot group with the Remington keeping in mind that I had moved the scope four clicks to the right.Not too bad. So, I don't mind hunting with the Core Lokts, but had better save the Federals for another rifle. Will see what I can do with reloads later.
One complaint with the rifle is that the cartridge is sometimes hard to get to pop out of the magazine unless you use a very sharp decisive motion, wants to just jam against the guide and the rail not turn it loose. But, it's an inexpensive rifle.