Remington 770?

Nick9130White

There's a Remington 770 at my big 5, an it comes with a scope (can't be the greatest cause I believe the combo is pretty cheap) and I was wondering what you guys think about it. Accuracy wise, i am looking for a accurate, inexpensive bolt gun. I don't mind if the action isnt smooth or anything like that. I just want a bolt gun, pretty accurate and it can be accurate to about 300 yards. I don't recall what caliber it was, but what would be the best caliber for accuracy out of it?

gaseousclay

ugh. the 770 has been talked abouto so many times here. just do a search. basically, the 770 is considered to be a heap of junk. save your money and get something better at a used gun shop

jmr40

They are disposable rifles. From all accounts they are accurate and seem to function well enough. They are not made for long term durability and when something breaks you just throw them away because it will cost more to get them repaired than they are worth.

They have almost zero resale value. None of the local gunshops or even pawnshops will give you dime for one because they cannnot sell them used. Not a good choice if you want something cheap now with an eye toward trading up at a later time.

If you want the cheapest gun available, understand their shortcomings and don't plan on shooting a lot they are an option. I've heard some are pretty accurate.

For the extra cost of a couple of boxes of ammo there are other guns only slightly more expensive that are better choices. They may not come with a scope, but you'd have to replace the one on the 770 anyway.

Buzzcook

Look in the used gun market.

Almost any centerfire cartridge will shoot to 300yds. Almost any modern rifle will be accurate at that distance.

PetahW

If you want a NEW, accurate & reliable boltgun, there are 3-5 "economy" rifles ( around $300) out there that should fit your needs admirably.

I would suggest checking them out - some are even offered with an inexpensive, but usable, scope as a package deal.

Marlin makes both a long & short action XS-7 & XL-7

Mossberg makes both the 4x4 and the 100 ATR

Savage makes the Stevens 200

Ruger makes the American

Nick9130White

Ill check those out thank you.

I was also looking at a Savage 11/111 in 7mm, how is that one? Comes with a scope and all that. It felt good, and the action was pretty smooth.

FrankenMauser

Marlin XL7 and XS7 rifles aren't much more expensive, and are a far better rifle. In my opinion, the X7s surpass the Savage and Stevens entry-level rifles, the Ruger American, the Mossberg 4x4, and pretty much anything else in that class of rifles.

The X7s were engineered to be great rifles with low manufacturing costs, to be sold at an affordable price point.

The competitors' rifles, however, were existing designs that had corners cut to save money. We all know what happens when people cut corners.... :rolleyes:

Nick9130White

I'm really liking the marlin XL7, I'm
Looking for a pretty damn accurate round that CAN reach out a descent distance and hit what I'm aimin at. What caliber would be good for that?

gun nut

I have several savage 10/110 rifles and for the money am very happy with them. Those savage 10/110 rifles are surprisingly accurate. I have not shot or been around the marlin bolt action rifle but have a couple marlin lever rifles and they are great. 270, 308, 30-06, 7 mag

FrankenMauser

Any of the X7 chamberings will do what you need, with room to spare.
XL7: .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06
XS7: .243 Win, 7mm-08, .308 Win

If you don't reload, it will be easiest to find good factory ammo (such as Federal Gold Metal Match) for .308 Win and .30-06 Win.

The runner-up would be .243 Win. It falls into the middle ground between 'match' cartridge and hunting cartridge (and varmint cartridge). You can find a little of everything for .243.

The .25-06, .270 Win, and 7mm-08 aren't generally considered to be "match" cartridges, just hunting cartridges; so high quality target ammunition is pretty rare (and if you do find it, it costs more than you can afford).

gun nut

Chuck Hawks has several nice tables showing recoil, trajectory, and ballistics. Pick a caliber that sounds good and check ammo availability. So many calibers to choose from! Like 22-250 & 220 swift they are fairly similar looking at the numbers but 22-250 is much more plentiful.

gun nut

For just paper or varmits 223 would be cheapest easiest to find ammo. 22-250 would be a little flatter and still readily available. 243 would also be excellent and easy to find. There are bigger more powerful rounds but for paper I wouldn't want the heavier recoil and probably more expensive ammo. Something cheap that you can stand to shoot alot!

PetahW

Nick9130White said:
I'm really liking the marlin XL7, I'm
Looking for a pretty damn accurate round that CAN reach out a descent distance and hit what I'm aimin at. What caliber would be good for that?

While the .30-06 is never a mistake, the .308 has made it's bones as a long-range accuracy round - and in the Marlin XS-7 presented in a lighter short-action, a plus.

If you were talking about hunting, say Pronghorn, then I'd be sorely tempted by a .270.

IMHO, the Marlin's the sleeper of the bunch, with the newly-introduced Ruger American yet to prove itself.

Nick9130White

I can't do .223 in a bolt gun, I don't know why but I just can't do that. Haha

But I'm goin with .308, it can share
Ammo with my Saiga 308.

Thank you for your help

cheap rifle but mine shoots well. I hate the bolt on it. It is very rough when pulling bolt back and it may or may not pull the round out after you fire. Mine has a problem of the bolt jamming and not extracting the round. Has happened numerous times and a couple while in the field hunting(NOT GOOD!!!!)

Now accuracy wise....mine will shoot .5 or less groups @ 100 yards all day with Remington Cor-Lokt bullets in 130gr. This is in a 270 caliber

FrankenMauser

cheap rifle but mine shoots well. I hate the bolt on it. It is very rough when pulling bolt back and it may or may not pull the round out after you fire. Mine has a problem of the bolt jamming and not extracting the round. Has happened numerous times and a couple while in the field hunting(NOT GOOD!!!!)

Now accuracy wise....mine will shoot .5 or less groups @ 100 yards all day with Remington Cor-Lokt bullets in 130gr. This is in a 270 caliber

It sounds like you need to send that rifle back to Marlin, for repairs. Why keep dealing with the issues, if they'll take care of it for free? :rolleyes:

frankenmouser: called Remington several times after I first got the rifle(4 yrs ago) and explained problem they said it was the magazine?????? and sent me a new one. Problem of course was not resolved with that solution. Called again and they told me I needed to clean the bolt very well and lube it. Which I did and of course no fix to the issue. Then conveniently the 1 yr warranty had expired and they told me nothing they could do about it!!!!!! So I am stuck with the problem and now after alot of research and talking to people it appears it is a common issue with that rifle