Remington 7600 Pump - opinions?

Moloch

Hey guys!

I was just wondering, I am looking for a new rifle and what do you think about the remington 7600? Any opinions? Hows the reliability? Hows the gun overall, accuracy, durability, action smoothnes....

Does the 7600 use the 20gauge remington reciever so that I can use the stocks and heat shields from the 20g shotguns?

Thank you very much!

Doyle

Great rifle, great reliability, usually has great accuracy for a non-bolt action gun. I'll stack my 760 (the predecessor of the 7600) up against an of my bolt actions at less than 200 yds.

No, you won't find them interchangeable with 20ga 870 parts (and why would you even try?).

GONIF

great hunting rifle ,accurate and releiable . a 7600 with a good 3-9x40 in 3006 would be a do everything hunting rifle .:D

I grew up in Pennsylvania, where semi-autos are illegal for deer hunting.

Remington pump rifles have always been very popular there. By far the most common single MODEL of rifle at my hunting camp was the Remington 760/7600.

Bolt actions led the pack, but many different models, and lever guns were also popular but spread between Winchester, Marlin, and Savages.

Every year for many years the newspaper where I started my career gave out a new rifle in a drawing before hunting season. Couple of the sporting goods stores in the area sponsored it.

Every year the prize was a Remington 7600 in .270.

ZeSpectre

I grew up "varminting" around the farm with a 760 chambered in .243 Winchester. It was reliable, accurate, and great for follow-up if needed. I always thought I'd inherit that rifle and was very upset when someone broke into my dad's house and stole his guns.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago when I found a synthetic stocked 7600 with a NICE scope AND chambered in .243 on consignment. I snapped that sucker right up and it's been a pleasure to own and shoot ever since.

Do yourself a favor and pick one up in your preferred caliber and get a few extra magazines as well. :D

Moloch

Sounds good!
I need a rifle which is not a semi auto rifle but still fast on follow up shots, so I thought the 7600 may be a good choice. However, I've heard about FTF's a lot.

Would also use this gun as a SD and plinking gun so reliability is the highest priority.
What do you guys think about the 22'' synthetic hunter in .308? I would equip this gun with a pistol grip stock (cant stand the original stock)

lgsil_7600s.jpg

But I am pretty sure that the 7600 uses the 20 gauge 870 receiver so the stocks and parts should fit.

Are there any aftermarket high cap magazines available?

Moloch

Why? IMO pistol grip stocks are much more comfortable, I also have one on my Savage 10FP and it feels so much better than the standart stock. :rolleyes:

There are many mall-ninja'd hunting rifles with thumbhole stocks you know, and a thumbhole stock is pretty much a disguised pistol grip stock...

moosemike

I grew up with a 870 20 gauge and a 760 30-06 and can guarantee you they do not use the same receiver. The shotgun receiver is wider.

jsr76

The 7600 and it's predecessors are classic. Just see what happens if they ever stop producing them. I'll always have mine.;)

Moloch

I think I'll get one myself then. ;) I was really afraid about the reliability issues but it seems that there are none.

A pitty that there are no reliable high capacity magazines available.

I grew up with a 870 20 gauge and a 760 30-06 and can guarantee you they do not use the same receiver. The shotgun receiver is wider.
I've heard many times that they are about the same size so now I am really puzzled. :confused:
Thatw woudl explain why there are 7600 stocks and 870 stocks, but no 7600 & 870 stocks.

Last edited:

ZeSpectre

I need a rifle which is not a semi auto rifle but still fast on follow up shots, so I thought the 7600 may be a good choice. However, I've heard about FTF's a lot.

Moloch, when you say FTF do you mean "failure to feed" or "failure to fire"?

The only "failure to feed" I've seen with a 7600 is folks that don't understand you have to operate the pump with some "authority".

The only "failure to fire" I've ever seen is also when someone fails to work the slide with authority and doesn't finish locking up the chamber by ramming the slide all the way forward.

User error either way. :rolleyes:

jgcoastie

I had a Remington 7615 Police model (which is basically a tacti-cool version of the 7600) in .223 Rem. It took standard AR15/M16 magazines and I had a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 on it. It was a hoot to shoot, the only reason I sold it is because some sucker offered me $1100 for it... I ain't going to turn down an offer like that...

Legionnaire

If I didn't already have 760s in both .30-06 and .308, I'd jump on this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141998023

Not my gun, and I don't know the seller--no horse in the race. But that's a reasonable price for a good looking 760, it's in .308 (my preferred cartridge), and it has a very decent scope installed. Might do to refinish the stock, but the gun looks like a workhorse. I also favor the older 760s over the newer 7600s, although both are great guns.

ebusa

Rem 760/7600 are outstanding hunting rifles IMO!

Probably the most underated rifle ever...it's one of Remington's top 5 rifles and I remember seeing it on the top 10 whitetail rifles of all time.

Fast handling, accurate, free-floating barrel, magazine fed, what more do you need!...Maybe just a spare magazine to carry in your pocket in the field.

Only thing that really needs improvement is trigger work. I sent mine into a gunsmith off gunbroker and he did trigger work, cut, polished and adjusted the hammer and sear engagment. Has a 3.5lb trigger now, smooth pull with no creep!

The newer 760/7600 should be good to go, so don't let people tell you they rattle and whatnot. Nonsense! Once you tote one you'll be hooked!

The older 760's (1950's) like my main huntin rifle has a steel ejection port cover which was one of the areas causing the rattling, after time they switch to plastic to resolve that problem. Other one is the forearm. The newer models slide tube is shorted and the "O" ring everyones talking about to fix that.

I actually like the sound of a worn out ole 760! I oil mine up real good and don't hear any rattling. These rifles are fun and I don't see other folks carring them up in my neck of the woods. I like that it's different, and I'm always running into folks that never seen a pump action rifle, eventhough they've been around almost 60yrs.

For those interested, here are some tips that have helped me with the 760/7600 I have or owned:

-Make sure the Screw or Spanner nut is always tight on the forend
-If you magazines are not going in good, you can file them down to fit perfectly
-Trigger work CAN be done on these rifles...check out guy on GunBroker
-Shoot nickel plated (Chrome color case) ammo. I have discovered that brass casings expand more which results in the round ejecting much harder.

dgludwig

I prefer the looks and handling of the early 760s. They were more suited for iron sights than for a scope due to the lower drop on the comb. Mine was made in the early fifties and is chambered in 30-06. It has accounted for many whitetails and an antelope over the years. I have a Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight mounted on it and have found it to be one fast handling woods rifle. In my experience though, the extraction doesn't have near the "leverage" of a typical bolt-action rifle so if you reload, full-length resizing is recommended when using brass different than that shot in the individual rifle itself.

trooper3385

This is totally off topic, but everytime I see or hear about a 7600, I think of this story. When I was in high school, me and a friend went down to my grandfathers ranch to hog hunt. This is in Art's neck of the woods. Anyway, his dad wanted us to take his 7600 with an old Weaver K4 on it and see if it still shoots. He hasn't shot it in 20+ yrs. We hunted for 3 days and never saw a hog. The last night there went went out spot lighting and dumped just about every round we had into Jack rabbits and coyotes. Never got around to shooting the 7600 though. About 6am, I woke up to go the rest room and heard some noise outside. I peeked out the window and saw about a 300 lb boar on it's hind legs trying to get in the back of my truck to get to the bags of corn in the bed. I ran back to the bedroom and grabbed my 270 and headed out the door. I go to jack a round in and the guns empty. So I go back and get my 243. Head out the front door again and it's empty too. Back to the bedroom again and grabbed my Savage 223. Guess what. That one is empty too. By this time, the hog has already seen and heard me and was running off. So all that's left, is the old 7600 that hasn't been shot in 20 yrs and the bullets in the magazine look like they about that old as well. I had to think about it for a minute, but ended up grabbing that one and headed outside. By this time, the hog is out in a field about 300 yds away. I got a lean on a fence post and torched off a round. Dropped the hog like a ton of bricks. The hog manages to get up and I fired off another round and dropped it for good this time. I still don't know what was more surprising. Seeing a hog trying to crawl into the back of my truck or shooting dropping that hog with the gun in my underwear.