Remington 7600 Magazines

lamarw

I just acquired a nice condition .308 Remington 7600 Pump. It came with two magazines. One mag is ID'ed as .270 Win and the other list .280 Rem., 25-06 Rem, 30-06 Sprg., 270 Win, and .35 Whelen. Both magazines seem to fit in the Rifle. I have not acquried any .308 ammo as of yet. Therefore, my question is whether the mags are acceptable for this rifle?

Abel

They are either mismarked and will work, or they are the wrong mags. They should not be marked with 30-06 sized cartridges like the 280 & 25-06 if your rifle is a 308.

PawPaw

It's a good question and I honestly don't know the answer. The Remngton Model 7600 was made in both long-action and short action calibers, but I don't know if there is any difference in the action length.

However, you say that your rifle is a .308, but the magazines are marked with long action calibers and fit the rifle.

Either they will work, or they won't. I have a Remington 760 in .30-06 and the magazines I have for it are marked for long action calibers. Magazines for .308/.243/ etc are readily available on the market, so if the mags you have won't work, it's an easy task to get the correct magazines.

oneoldsap

7600 Magazines

To be honest , I've never tried a long caliber magazine in a short caliber rifle ! The 308 length magazines have a spacer in the rear of the magazine and the long ones don't . I think the purpose of the spacer is to keep the cartridges from coming out of the magazine too far before the chamber ! If that long one that you have has a Steel bottom I'll trade one with you !

lamarw

Remington says neither will work. No problem - I have a correct one ordered.

Thanks for the responses.

jmr40

Quite often magazines designed for 1 gun will work in another. Maybe not with 100% reliability, but they may work OK as range magazines. I'd give them a try and see what happens. I wouldn't want them for the hunt of a lifetime and certainly not in a rifle I might use to save my life.