Remington 760 value -- .244 Remington

Friend's father has a 1950s vintage .244 Remington that he's looking to sell.

Anyone know what a .244 of this vintage is going for these days? It's not particularly rare, but it's not really common, either.

No pix to post, not 100% sure of condition at the moment, and I'm just looking for a range, or top value.

Once I know what that is I can factor in condition, locality, etc., and come up with a workable price.

twobit

Search the gunbroker "completed auctions" for a $ range as to what they are currently.

They are very good rifles. I have a 30-06 in a 1963 year model, and once had a .270 from the 50's that was my deer rifle for a decade. Aside from being very good rifles, the neat thing is that they are almost identical in operation to a Remington 870 shotgun. I grew up on 870's, and have continuously owned one or more 870's for over 35 years. I bought the 30-06 I have about 2 years ago off gunbroker for around $350.

oneoldsap

Very Few .244s

Actuall the .244 is quite rare , along with the .222 and .223 . , In mint condition I'd say $1,200 to $1500 I specialize in the Rem. pumps and I see very few .244s ! The .300 Savages are much more common . Condition is the deciding factor !

stevelyn

As I understand from an article in the current issue of Handloader is the .244 Remington is the early designation given to the 6mm Remington. Kinda like the 7mm Express/.280Remington name change.

It's the same cartridge with a name change.

Hook686

Yup ... though it has a different rifling than the 6mm Remington. The .244 was slower twist and did great with light .243 bullets, but had about a 90 grain upper limit as I recall. The 6mm Remington increased the twist rate to compete more with the .243 Winchester. I think the 6mm Remington a better round, but heard the .244 was really effective as a varment rifle, just fell a little short for those folks that wanted a one gun for deer and varments.

Yep, you guys have the back story correct.

Just another in the long line of Remington's poorly conceived cartridge introductions.

briandg

Just another in the long line of Remington's poorly conceived cartridge introductions.

Sad, but true. I'm remembering something wrong with the 25-06, I think, the .350 magnum never lived up to any potential, the 222 magnum had to be retooled into .223, the .280 had twist problems, iirc, and did anyone ever care at all about the 6.5 magnum?

They've all had some that were dead on. .308, .458, and .270 for winchester, and nobody can argue that the .7mm remington magnum wasn't one of the greatest cartridges ever designed.