any info on remington 7400 in 30-06
i know it's a good rifle
is the barel free floated
how's the acuracy
best mags
and any other info is welcome

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have seen those rifles shoot into an inch at 100 yds with ammo they liked. The best magazine is the factory mag. There are/were 10 rd mags on the market, but some of those did not work well (and were illegal for hunting in some states). AFAIK, there were no higher capacity magazines. Some modification to use another mag might be possible, but I doubt it would be feasible.

Jim

kerth

Barrel is not free floating, it is tied to the gas system/forend group. Triple K 10 round mag functions well in my 7400 carbine, but it doesn't hold the bolt open when empty. Accuracy: For offhand and field rest (fencepost/tree) the rifle is more accuate than I am. From a bench or bipod my bolt action 30-06 gives much tighter groups. This may vary from rifle to rifle but my 7400 functions well (doesn't jam) only if its clean, it seems paticularly finicky about chamber cleanliness. For reloads my rifle likes IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 with 150 - 165 grain bullets, slower powders (ie IMR 4350) give extraction problems, probably due to too high gas port pressures.

Chad Young

I used to have one in .270 WInchester and it was pretty nice. The barrel is kind of quasi-free floated in that the handguard does not touch the stock. The gas system has some contact, though, in the firing cycle. Mine shot 1-2" at 1oo yards. My only complaint was that 1) the chamber had to be spotlessly clean and 2) it was ammo finicky. It fed Remington and Winchester ammo fine, but hotter PMP ammo with weak rims would sometimes result in the rifle not extracting properly.

Nimrod

They can shoot if everything is just right and they feel like it. Not known for high marks on the reliability department.

paltik

military ball ammo for 742

is it safe to use mulitary ball ammo for the Remington M742 cal. .30-'06?
Thanks in advance!!

Southla1

Member In Memoriam
Sure its safe to use ball, just amke sure its non-corrosive primed or if it is corrosive primed clean accordingly. I have never owned one of these 7400 (or the earlier 742) per-se, but I did keep brother in laws for about 2 years while he was not using it. It shot well the only problem he or I had with it was it DID NOT like WW ammo. It would pull the extractor right through the rim, leaving the empty case in the chamber. A simple switch to Remington (or Federal) cured that problem. In fact it liked some of my handloads that were suitable for the M1 Garand. This particular rifle would go 1" to 1 1/2 inches on a good day. Plenty accurate enough for hunting in the swamps.

Powermwt

paltik, I have a new 7400 carbine and have had problems using Greek surplus ammo in it. The extractor tears the rim right off leaving the casing in the chamber. None of my reloads, commercial or military ammo have this problem. The surplus ammo works great in my Garand so, I'm not sure what the problem is. The 7400 shoots just under moa with Nosler BT bullets so it is a keeper. MWT