Remington 710

rugerfreak

OK---I know I'm going to get hammered by you guys since I've been down on Remington but here goes. In addition to getting the T/C .22 Classic, I also picked up a Remington 710---I can't believe I actually bought it myself----but the place where I bought it has a 30 day return policy---if i don't like it, I can get all my money back.

I know most people don't like the 710 but it seemed to fit my purposes. I was looking for a back-up rifle to leave in the truck, just in case something happened to my main rifle while I was hunting and a long way from home. My other rifles are Weatherby's and I just can't seem to get comfortable leaving $2000 worth of rifle and scope unattended in the truck.

I paid $329 for the 710 package NIB----it has 60 degree bolt uplift and a detachable mag(2 things I'm always looking for) and came with a cheap Bushnell scope on it----the scope just has to get me through this year---if the rifle is a good shooter, I'll put a better scope on it---if its a bad shooter it goes back to the store(hasta la vista baby!!).

Anyway---If anybody else has bought a 710, I'd like to hear your experiences and opinions on it.

Thanks in advance.

gryphon

I was wondering about the 710 as well, rugerfreak, how does the stock feel to you? My first impression was YUCK X3. Are you getting used to it?

I'm also curious to know it's accuracy versus the 700 series and the Savage 110 series.

thanks,

gryphon

Dave R

I'm curious, too. Let us know how she shoots.

Sorry for the brag, but I shot a Cloverleaf at 100yds. on Saturday with a out-of-box-stock Remington 700 ADl in .308. 3 shots touching. Using Remington 150gr. Core-Lokt. In all honesty, 2" is the norm.

I hope your 710 shoots as well.

rugerfreak

The stock is actually starting to grow on me----and the rifle is getting nicer overall the more I play with it. I had to move the scope---which was way too far back---and I wanted to check for myself how well the scope was mounted. The Savages at the same store were priced at $369 for the package deal----I just didn't feel that they were worth the extra $40. I'm going to try to get both rifles out next weekend----before my 30 days is up.

My 710 is a .30-06 and the guy working there wasn't sure he'd ever saw a 710 in .270----which was my first choice---then I could have used the same ammo as one of my Weatherby's-----oh well --having another caliber is fun too.

rugerfreak

Just thought of another question------does anybody know if the scope mounts for a Model 700 will fit my 710? If the rifle turns out to be a shooter---i want to get rid of the crappy scope mounts ASAP.

bmcneil

I just recetnly bought a 710 in .30-06. I like it. It will make an excellent first high power rifle for me to screw around with and practice with.

So far I'm very happy with it.

One thing about the supposed bolt breaking off problem. I put some militec-1 on the bolt, and it slides nice and smooth. Unless you manhandle it, I dont see where there would be a problem.

Hope you like the rifle as much as I do!

Have fun with it!

ekwallace

my 710

i just recently purchased the 710 in the 270 and im pleasantly pleased with it.the bolt on mine slides very smooth and like how tight the bolt locks into place.yes the scope is cheap,well hell the whole gun is cheap but dam'n,you cant beat the gun for the money.i just went out today and shot it for the first time.at 100yrds it was right on the money.i just needed to slide the scope forward a little.when i hit 200yrds i needed just a little adjustment,thats were i like to set my scope at dead-on.all-n-all the gun did very well and im looking forward to dropping a buck with it this year.

i would like to hear if anybody else has tryed out the 710/270. thanks

270Win

I think we'll be seeing a lot of 710 posts in the future - all the .270 and .30-06 models have sold out at the local WalMarts and Dick's Sporting Goods, and were in low supply at Bass Pro Shop.

They seem to be VERY popular... though for many people the jury is still out.

Garand Guy

Better get your flame suit ready

Yes, the 710 is a good gun for the shooter on a budget. I bought my 710 in 270 about two years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Mine is setup as a varmint rig. I put a Harris bipod on it and shoot Hornady 110gr V-max bullets.

Many (and I do mean many) people here don't like the 710. You will probably be hearing from them shortly. Use the search function and you'll see what I mean.

The 710 will do what you want it to do within reason. It's a great gun for people who either can't afford or just don't want to spend a lot on something better.

armedtotheteeth

It is hard not to complain about the 710. But these big guys in Remington Tshirts behind me smack me with a Remington 710 barrel everytime i post my opinion on the 710. (Damn i wish these guys would go away!. Its like the Remington secret service or something!) Piece of KRAP! OWWW!, stop it, bang bang! The only thing that barrel is god for is kicking my OWW!! STOP IT!! (hehe) You all let the opinions fly, ill hold these guys here!

Rivers

How'd you guys get a 710 in .270? Didn't you read that the guy at the gun store says he doesn't know if he'd ever seen one? :p I've never understood the mentality of buying a p.o.s. like the 710 when a 700 is available for just a few $$$ more.

mustangdan1963

I've had a 710 in .270 for about a year and a half. I have no complaints with it at all. I had no illusions of it being anything but what it is, an entry level occasional use hunting tool. Mine shoots just fine, about an inch and a half or so at 100 yards. It might shoot better, with some handloads, but, for it's intended use what's the point.

armedtotheteeth

I agree about 1.5 inches being "good enough" for hunting, and stuff. I mean, you dont need a bench rest rifle to kill deer at 100 yards. I apologize for my dislike of the 710. I got burned very bad by that thing. I bought it new for 375$ (?) and ditched it for 150. It shot horrible., It was a 300 mag. 4 inches at best at 100 yards. And it wasnt the shooter. or the loads. it was the damn gun. Again, sorry. I know it is a ok gun for the weekend warrior

kirbymagnum

How much better is the Remington 700 compared to the 710? What is more accurate for an out of the box varmint rifle a Remington vssf II or a Savage 12vlp or savage 12bvss?

Nightdiver

I bought a 710 in .270 3years ago, and it has done everything I ask of it.
BTW, (flame material) Remington is recalling some of the older ones,( including mine). There is a potential problem with the safety. If you own one, go to the Remington website and enter your serial number. They will advise if your is affected by recall.

dfaugh

Sounds like the 710 is perfectly adequate for your stated purposes... Although personally I don't think 1.5 MOA is really adequate, unless you are very careful with your shots, as 1.5 MOA turns into 3+ MOA as soon as you're out in the field, shooting from a position other than a solid rest.

Having said that, I would've paid the exta $40 for the Savage as I think they are hands-down the best value for the money.