Remington 710....

std7mag

I've been looking for an inexpensive rifle to take apart, and use the action as the basis of a build.
I have run across 2 different Remington 710 rifles. One was $179, the other $149.:eek:

I passed on both due to finances at the current time, but am keeping this model in mind for later purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with these actions? Planning on 2 different rifle builds. One in 6.5x52 American, the other in 257AI, both would be "target" rifles.

Thanks

Std7mag

Mobuck

Keep looking because those actions are not worth spending money on.
If simplicity in "building" is important choose a Savage action to fit the cartridge you have in mind(long/short).
I have to say that you can buy a complete rifle with most of the features you will likely need for less than you can "build" one.
Other actions which I can recommend are Remington 700, Remington 798(Mauser design made by Zastava), Howa(they made rifles for S&W, Mossberg, and Weatherby). These are the more economical actions on the market. Buying a surplus rifle and having it built has become a dead end since those rifles are increasing in initial cost.

natman

Don't.

I wouldn't own a 710 if it were free. I certainly wouldn't sink any money into one.

Get a Savage or a Marlin x7 instead.

std7mag

Wow, tell us how you really feel.... lol

Thanks for the responses!
Gonna keep looking for another Savage/Stevens.

Mobuck

While I understand your wish to have a specific cartridge for whatever reason, I question your choice. I'm not familiar with the 6.5x52 American but have a 257AI. That one doesn't impress me. It won't fit a short action and a long action will accommodate the 25/06 which is superior plus has factory ammo readily available.

std7mag

Please bear in mind that I'm not interested in how the 710 gun package shoots. I'm just looking to purchase it for the action. The barrel and stock will probably end up in the for sale section here. Just don't want to buy a "Coke" can formed into an action.

The 6.5x52 American is essentially the 6.5-08 A-Square (aka 260 Remington) Improved.

Looking for the "inherent" accuracy potential, plus low recoil, with a slightly faster velocity on the 6.5-08.

I have 3 gun builds planned for this coming tax season. :D
1) The 6.5 American for my girlfriend.(target)
2) A 6.5 Rem Mag target rifle for me.
3) A 25 Souper Improved for me. (hunting/target)

Along with trying to find a .257 Roberts that I can afford.... :rolleyes:

handlerer2

I was confused at first,I was thinking that the 710 like the 770 had a pinned barrel, that could not be replaced.

The original 710's had a plastic receiver insert, that was the reason for the recall. Consumer complaints about the difficulty in cycling the bolt, led to recall, where the plastic was replaced. From what I've heard the barrel was best feature of this rifle.

I'm not positive that this receiver is a good base to build on. Maybe one of the gunsmith experts will post a fer sure.

Colt46

A short lived try at a bargain rifle

Didn't last long and I've never heard anything good about them.